Ramp and auto door at main entrance off Winegard Walk


Access to all floors


P5 off Trent Lane


Men’s and women’s washrooms in the basement off the main elevators to the right; accessible stalls in the third floor washrooms

The library is at the centre of campus life – students are forever coming and going as they pursue their post-secondary education. In fact, on a busy day more than 12,000 people use the McLaughlin library, and more than 1 million visit annually.

The library first opened in 1968, at a cost of $8,175,000; $1 million of which was donated by Robert Samuel McLaughlin (1871-1972), a pioneer Canadian car manufacturer and philanthropist. His portrait hangs on the right side wall after coming through the main entrance. On the opposite wall is a glass display case that displays archival displays from the University of Guelph.

For more information about the Historical Walking Tour, please contact:

Alumni Affairs & Development
(519) 824-4120 ext. 56934