Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
The Food Safety Research Program is an open, competitive research fund which enhances food safety in Ontario through innovative research. The program addresses the Ministry's Emergency Management Research Theme which seeks to lessen the frequency and impact of agri-food emergencies. The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) strives to fund demand-driven research that has ready receptors in policy, programs or the marketplace.
Since 2001, the program has allocated over $10 million to 114 projects at different institutions, resulting in:
- new or enhanced technologies that support the agri-food industry and government regulatory and laboratory programs
- new information about emerging food hazards and contaminants
- new strategies to reduce, eliminate or otherwise manage food safety risks
The Food Safety Research Program addresses the Ministry's Emergency Management Research Theme. Research needs specific to food safety have been identified in three priority areas for the 2017-18 call. Applicants' research should address at least one specific research need within one of these three priority areas:
- Pathway analysis
- Detection and surveillance
- Prevention and control of disease
Letter of intent for Food Safety
Public and private sector applicants with capacity to perform quality research in the program priority areas are invited to apply
Maximum Project Value
$150,000 Canadian (includes a maximum of 25% indirect costs)
Up to three years in length
Date: Tuesday, July 18th, 2017
Location: Conference Room 1, 1 Stone Road West, Guelph This consultation will provide an overview of the research program and the RMS on-line application system. There will also be time for questions. You can attend the consultation in person or by webinar.
To register, please contact Krista Kapitan, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please submit your OR5 form to the Research Services email address at email@example.com and do your letter of intent electronic submission in the RMS at the same time, when you do the submission in RMS your letter of intent comes to the Office of Research. After review and approval the Office of Research will do your final submission to OMAFRA in RMS by the external deadline. Successful letters of intent will be invited to submit a full proposal by OMAFRA.
How to Apply
- Researchers will need apply on-line using OMAFRA's Research Management System (RMS).
- Those with a username and password can login to their Researcher Workbench to access program documentation and complete an on-line application