Canada Gairdner Foundation
The Canada Gairdner International Award recognizes outstanding biomedical scientists who have made original contributions to medicine with the goal of contributing through research to increased understanding of human biology and disease.
Nomination guidelines are available at Canada Gairdner International Award Nomination Guidelines.
- Gairdner invites the scientific community to nominate qualified scientists from any branch of biomedicine.
- Nominees should be individuals whose “seminal discoveries and major scientific contributions constitute an original and significant achievement in biomedical science.”
- Nominations in the field of translational research are welcome.
- The award does not recognize a lifetime of work.
- The evaluation of the contributions of the nominees depends heavily on the quality of information supplied. Therefore, nominations should be accurate, detailed, current, complete, and with supporting letters reflecting the nominee’s accomplishments.
- Award recipients are required to attend the Canada Gairdner Awards dinner and expected to participate in the National Program that takes place across Canada.
Five prizes, each valued at $100,000 CAD, are awarded annually in addition to an award citation and a commemorative item. A joint award may be made for the same discovery or contributions to medical science, but each recipient receives a full prize.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
If your nomination will be submitted by a nominator other than the VPR, please submit directly to the Gairdner Nominations Portal by the external deadline (anticipated opening in 2020). Please also submit a copy of the full nomination and OR-5 to email@example.com
How to Apply
The Vice-President (Research) encourages nominations for this award, and will serve as nominator for those nominees recommended by the Honours and Awards Advisory Committee. If you wish to nominate a colleague or to be considered for VPR nomination, please submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the internal deadline.
An Expression of Interest will include:
- A draft letter (two-three pages) addressed to the VPR, signed by your ADR, which outlines how you/your nominee meets the criteria outlined on the Canada Gairdner International Awards website
- an up-to-date CV (up to 10 pages) for nominee (and each member of the team, if applicable).
If your nomination will be submitted by a different nominee, and therefore does not require the Vice-President's endorsement, please submit an OR-5 and a complete nomination to email@example.com by the external deadline.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or see the Canada Gairdner International Award Nomination Guidelines