Canada Gairdner Foundation
The Canada Gairdner Wightman Award recognizes a Canadian health researcher whose career demonstrates extraordinary leadership paired with exceptional science.
It is awarded for:
- A sustained career of research excellence in the health sciences at an international level.
- Demonstrated leadership positions and achievements above those of their peers, with local, national and international impact.
Nomination guidelines are available at Canada Gairdner Wightman Award Nomination Guidelines.
- Outstanding candidates at varied levels of career development are eligible.
- The evaluation of the contributions of the nominees depends heavily on the quality of information supplied. Therefore, nominations should be accurate, detailed, current, complete, and with supporting letters reflecting the nominee’s accomplishments.
- Letters of support should include national and international representation.
- Award recipients are required to attend the Canada Gairdner Awards dinner and expected to participate in the National Program that takes place across Canada.
The Prize is valued at $100,000 CAD, an award citation, and a commemorative item will also be presented.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
If your nomination will be submitted by a nominator other than the VPR, please submit directly to the Gairdner Nominations Portal by the external deadline (anticipated opening in 2020). Please also submit a copy of the full nomination and OR-5 to email@example.com
How to Apply
The Vice-President (Research) encourages nominations for this award, and will serve as nominator for those nominees recommended by the Honours and Awards Advisory Committee. If you wish to nominate a colleague or to be considered for VPR nomination, please submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the internal deadline.
An Expression of Interest will include:
- A draft letter (two-three pages) addressed to the VPR, signed by your ADR, which outlines how you/your nominee meets the criteria outlined on the Canada Gairdner Wightman Award website
- an up-to-date CV (up to 10 pages) for nominee (and each member of the team, if applicable).
If your nomination will be submitted by a different nominee, and therefore does not require the Vice-President's endorsement, please submit an OR-5 and a complete nomination to email@example.com by the external deadline.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or see the Canada Gairdner Wightman Award Nomination Guidelines