Strategic Investment Program (SIP) Accelerator
For More Information
Do you have an innovative idea that has the potential for real-world impact at the intersection of technology and aging? AGE-WELL’s SIP Accelerator program supports innovative post-discovery projects focused on the commercialization and/or knowledge mobilization of solutions (e.g. technologies, services or policies) aligned with AGE-WELL’s mission and vision.
The program provides:
- financial support;
- training opportunities; and
- strategic mentorship.
AGE-WELL is dedicated to the creation of technologies and services that benefit older adults and caregivers. Our aim is to help older Canadians maintain their independence, health and quality of life through technologies and services that increase their safety and security, support their independent living, and enhance their social participation.
- The competition is open to researchers based at Canadian institutions working in the field of technology and aging. AGE-WELL uses the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) definition of “independent researchers” when defining eligible grant holders (see http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/34190.html).
- AGE-WELL abides by the funding rules of the Tri-Council Agencies and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) in particular. Please consult the Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide about eligibility, eligible grant expenses, partner contributions etc.
- The applicant’s host institution must be eligible to hold Tri-Council funding. Canadian universities and investigators who are not already members of AGE-WELL will be required to sign onto the Network Agreement prior to receiving funds.
- SIP Accelerator funds cannot be used for activities funded through other AGE-WELL research competitions (e.g. activities that are part of an AGE-WELL Core Research Project).
- Projects previously funded by AGE-WELL (i.e. Catalyst, SIP or CIP grants), will be eligible to apply to this program. However projects are unable to hold funds from two 12-month AGE-WELL funding programs at the same time.
- Investigators will be expected to include partner organizations in their projects, including as part of any knowledge dissemination or commercialization planning. Such organizations should be described in the application. For reporting purposes, all partnership activities and contributions (cash and in-kind) should be quantified in the application. The quality and level of support will be explicitly rated and those with stronger contributions will be given priority.
Up to $40,000 over 12 months.
The program will also provide mentorship and training opportunities from the AGE-WELL network and its partners in addition to financial support.
Maximum Project Value
Training and Mentorship Details
- Successful projects will be assigned to key mentors who will work with and support the funded project. Project teams will be required to hold regular meetings with their assigned mentors and/or the AGE-WELL Scientific Directors to ensure ongoing progress towards project goals.
- Projects will have access to AGE-WELL member benefits and specialized services from AGE-WELL partners and Core Facilities, such as legal advice, commercialization and knowledge mobilization support, working space, access to prototyping labs, and entrepreneurship training.
- Upon completion of the financial award, projects will continue to be eligible to receive ongoing in-kind support and services from AGE-WELL.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
SIP Accelerator is designed to be an agile funding program with a relatively simple application process and quick turnaround. Applications will be accepted through AGE-WELL’s Forum Research Portal.
- Access the SIP Accelerator section of the Forum Research Portal.
- All current AGE-WELL Network Investigators have Forum accounts and can access the SIP Accelerator Program application materials through the ‘My Applications‘ tab visible when they log into Forum.
- Applicants who are not already AGE-WELL Network Investigators must first request access to Forum by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to request an account. Accounts will be set up within 24 hours (maximum) of receiving the request. Once an account is created, applicants can access application materials through the ‘My Applications‘ tab visible upon login.
- Complete the information in each section, uploading attachments as requested. The narrative sections of the application should not exceed 5 pages.
- It is critical that AGE-WELL research investments support the potential for “real world impact”. A Relevancy Review will be carried out by network stakeholders (older adults and caregivers) to determine the potential for uptake and impact if funded by AGE-WELL. Results of the relevancy review will be taken into consideration by the Research Management Committee during Scientific Review of the proposal.
Information For Co-applicants
If you need to meet a deadline set by the lead institution for this opportunity, please ensure that you provide the Office of Research with at least five days in advance of the lead institution’s deadline to review the application, or your proposed component of the project. Please be in touch with the Office of Research (contact information below) ahead of the deadline if it looks like it will be difficult for you to submit all the required documentation on time (i.e. budget, proposal, OR-5 Form).