AGEWELL and Canadian Frailty Network (creating Healthy Aging Canada (HAC))
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the AGEWELL website for
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
The 2023 Catalyst Funding Program in Healthy Aging aims to identify and support emerging research in technology-enabled healthy aging, foster networking and collaboration, and build capacity in aging innovation research in Canada. It is expected that small-scale projects funded through this call will provide a foundation for future larger research projects or funding applications.
Examples of supported activities for this call might include:
- Feasibility studies aiming to generate preliminary data, observations or knowledge;
- Novel products, including technologies, with the potential for significant impact, but that may be unsupported by proof of concept or preliminary data;
- New tools, methodologies, protocols, theoretical models or frameworks;
- Planning and/or development activities of expert teams (e.g., multi-disciplinary, trans-disciplinary, etc.) coming together to address healthy aging research priorities; and
- Secondary analyses to provide an opportunity for expert analyses of existing data sets, improve the evidence for decision-making and create new knowledge.
- The competition is open to researchers based at Canadian institutions working in the area of healthy aging. Current or prior affiliation with either AGE-WELL or CFN is not required.
- The Project Lead (PL) must be:
- an independent researcher affiliated with a Canadian postsecondary institution and/or its affiliated institutions (including hospitals, research institutes and other non-profit organizations with a mandate for health research and/or knowledge translation). Applicants applying as Early Career Researchers (ECRs) must meet CIHR’s requirements of being an Early Career Researcher. The PLs affiliated institution must be authorized to administer CIHR funds before the funding can be released (for more information see Administration of Funds).
- The PL must have successfully completed one of the sex- and gender-based analysis training modules available online through the CIHR Institute of Gender and Health and submit a Certificate of Completion with their application. Select and complete the training module most applicable to your project. Applicants are encouraged to review the “How to integrate sex and gender in research” section on the CIHR website.
- At least one knowledge user with relevant lived experience or expertise, as a Knowledge User (KU).
- Project Leads will be expected to include partner organizations in their project plans, including as part of any dissemination or commercialization planning in the longer-term. Such organizations should be described in the application, even where the partnership is at a very early stage of development. For reporting purposes, all partnership activities should be quantified in the application.
- AGE-WELL and CFN abide by the funding rules of the Tri-Council Agencies and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) in particular. Please consult the Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration about eligibility, eligible grant expenses, partner contributions etc.
- Catalyst funds cannot be used for activities funded through concurrent AGE-WELL or CFN research competitions (e.g., activities that are part of an AGE-WELL Core Research Program or CFN (e.g. ECR, Research or Knowledge Translation Programs) or other existing funding held (e.g. Tri-Council grants).
$750,000, enough to fund approximately 15 catalyst grants
Maximum Project Value
$50,000 per grant
One year - funding starts April 2023 (to March 2024)
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applicant to submit a copy of application along with a complete OR5 form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted through AGE-WELL Forum Research Portal.
- Access the Catalyst Program section of the Forum Research Portal.
- Applicants who are not already AGE-WELL Network Investigators must first request access to Forum by emailing email@example.com to request an account. Accounts will be set up within 24 hours (maximum) of receiving the request. Once an account is created, applicants can access application materials through the ‘My Applications’ tab visible upon login.
- All current AGE-WELL Network Investigators have Forum accounts and can access the Catalyst Program application materials through the ‘My Applications’ tab visible when they log into Forum.
- Complete the information in each section, uploading attachments as requested. The narrative sections of the application should not exceed 5 pages.