Arrell Food Institute at the University of Guelph
Arrell Food Innovation Awards
The Arrell Food Prizes recognize global excellence in the broad area of food innovation and community impact. In 2023, two awards will be given out:
- One award recognizing a researcher (or group of researchers) who has advanced understanding of food production, processing, distribution, consumption, safety and/or human nutrition, with a significant benefit to food systems or wider society.
- One award recognizing an individual (or group of individuals) who has contributed to improved nutritional health and/or food security, with a focus on strengthening disadvantaged communities.
Program details and timeline are not yet confirmed. This information will be updated when the program launches.
- The individual or group being nominated will have made exceptionally significant and documented contributions to either our scientific understanding related to food production, distribution and sales, or human nutrition/consumption; and/or at the community level in markedly improving nutrition, including access to, or distribution of food.
- The nomination package must clearly demonstrate how the individual or group being nominated played a critical leadership role in achieving the above noted contributions.
- Nominees must be able to attend the award ceremony and ancillary events.
- Citizens of any country are eligible for nomination, with no restrictions on gender, race, religion, creed or residency.
- Nominations may come from private companies, academic institutions, governmental units, charitable foundations, and not-for-profit organizations. In the case of multiple nominations from a single organization, only the one with the latest date will be accepted.
Please note that University of Guelph faculty who are interested in this award must find a nominator external to the university.
Each of the two prizes will be worth $125,000 CAD comprising a $100,000 cash award for the personal use of recipients and up to $25,000 per award for travel and accommodation of the recipients, administered by the Arrell Food Institute at the University of Guelph.
- An award citation and a commemorative item will also be presented.
- Recipients are expected to participate in a program of events. In particular, award recipients may be asked to attend the next Arrell Food Summit. There may also be other engagements organized, subject to mutual availability.
- Given the current global pandemic a determination on the travel and accommodation component of the award will be made some time in the future.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please note that University of Guelph faculty must find a nominee external to the University of Guelph.
How to Apply
University of Guelph faculty must find a nominee external to the University of Guelph. Once the nomination is submitted to the sponsor, please submit a complete nomination and signed OR-5 to email@example.com by the external deadline.