Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE)
Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network (AVIN) TalentEdge Internships and Fellowships
For More Information
Additional information is available on the Ontario Centres of Excellence website:
The Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network Talent Development (TalentEdge) Program provides students and recent graduates from Ontario colleges and universities with real-world industry experience, by applying their expertise, leading-edge knowledge and tools to solve industry problems related to Connected and Autonomous Vehicle (C/AV) technologies. Interns and fellows will work at Ontario-based companies or academic institutions and receive on-the-job training in areas such as software and hardware development, artificial intelligence, and data analytics.
Internships and fellowships are intended to provide interns or fellows with an experiential learning opportunity and hands-on industry experience. All internships and fellowships must be project-based with clearly defined activities, milestones and outcomes.
- Projects must be in the area of connected vehicle and autonomous vehicle related technology sector.*
- Projects must have an R&D component and have clearly defined activities, milestones and outcomes.
- For institution-based internship/fellowships, Academic partner (applicant) must be a principal investigator at an Ontario-accredited, publicly funded post-secondary institution (university and college). The applicant must have an arms-length relationship with the industry partner as defined on NSERC’s website (refer to the section Conflict of Interest Guidelines for Partner Organizations).
- Projects must include at least one for-profit company with operations in Ontario that meets the required cash and in-kind contribution.
- The company must be innovation-driven businesses developing products or services addressing industry challenges.
- Company must use the results for the economic, environmental, or social benefit of Ontario.
- lnterns can be at the undergraduate level (current final year students) or graduate level (current Masters and PhD students), or they may be recent undergraduate and Masters graduates within three years of graduation from an Ontario-based post-secondary institution. For institution-based internships, the intern must have student status at the publicly funded post-secondary institution for the duration of the internship.
- Fellows must hold a doctoral degree (PhD) within the last five years from an accredited Ontario University. For institution-based fellowships, the fellow must have post-doctoral fellow status at the academic institution for the duration of the fellowship.
- Interns are not eligible if they are currently enrolled in a co-op program or other equivalent job placement/employment program.
- Interns/fellows are not eligible if they are a current or past employee of the company (including consultants, contract position, part-time, etc.) at the time of application submission.
*Related technology sectors include intelligent transportation systems, vehicular communications, sensors, computation platforms, software stack, AI/ML, in-vehicle HMI, human factors, etc. to confirm project eligibility please connect with Martin Lord, Senior Sector Manager, Automotive and Mobility at email@example.com
Maximum Project Value
- Each four-month internship unit is valued at $20,000
- $10,000 from OCE and $10,000 from the company (at least $5,000 of the contribution from the company must be in cash)
- Institution-based interns must receive a minimum compensation of $10,000 per four-month internship unit. Of the $20,000 value of the four-month internship unit, up to $10,000 may be used for direct costs of the project (this includes a part of the cash and all in-kind contribution to the internship).
- Each twelve-month fellowship is valued at $85,000
- $35,000 from OCE and $50,000 from the company (at least $25,000 of the contribution from the company must be in cash)
- Institution-based fellows must receive a minimum compensation of $52,500 per year. Of the $85,000 value of the 12-month fellowship unit, up to $32,500 may be used for direct costs of the project (this includes a part of the cash and all company in-kind contribution to the fellowship);edge Internships and Fellowships
- Four months per unit, up to 24 months total per project.
- 12 months per unit, up to 24 months total per project.
How to Apply
Applications can be submitted at any time. To initiate an application, please contact Martin Lord (Senior Sector Manager, Automotive and Mobility), firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your proposal to the Office of Research two weeks in advance of when you want to submit to OCE. Submit the completed proposal by email to email@example.com and include a signed OR5 form (completed and submitted by Principal Investigator/Supervisor for the Intern/Fellow if institution-based internship/fellowship).