Banting Research Foundation and The Canadian Statistical Sciences Institute (CANSSI) Ontario
For More Information
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
CANSSI Ontario and The Banting Research Foundation are pleased to announce two Banting-CANSSI Ontario Discovery Awards in Data Science.These new investigator awards are intended to support statistical or computational research related to a health or biomedical problem.
Discovery Awards from The Banting Research Foundation support young Canadian researchers who demonstrate excellence and creativity in health and biomedical science. In keeping with the mission of CANSSI Ontario, applicants to the Banting-CANSSI Ontario Discovery Awards in Data Science should be proposing new, innovative statistical or computational methodology, or proposing to implement existing methods in novel ways, to address a health or biomedical research question.
- be a new investigator at any Canadian university or affiliated research institute who will be within the first three years of the date of first career academic appointment at the application deadline date of February 14, 2020
- have not been awarded by your institution more than $150,000 in start-up funding (exclusive of support from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation)
- have not been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds at the application deadline date. (An applicant who has been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds may submit a request for less than $25,000, such that the total sum of operating funds received from all sources during the funding year, should the application to The Banting Research Foundation be successful, not exceed $75,000.)
- Applications will be accepted from new investigators appointed at any CANSSI-member Ontario University. One of the two awards is earmarked for a University of Toronto or affiliated research institute faculty member.
Maximum Project Value
Up to $25,000
one (1) year grant
The application must be accompanied by a letter of nomination from the applicant’s host department or division head that:
- confirms all eligibility criteria have been met
- details the operating and the institutional start-up funds available to the applicant
- confirms the candidate has been provided the space and access to institutional infrastructure necessary to conduct the proposed research
- details a mentorship plan, including the name of a mentor, who will assist the applicant in launching their career by providing guidance with formulating research proposals, defining career goals and the timelines required to achieve them
Applications will be adjudicated on the basis of scientific excellence and innovation by The Banting Research Foundation Grant Review panel, and eligibility requirements and application instructions can be found here.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applicant to submit copy of application, support letter signed by the Dean or designate on college letter head (ORS will attain AVPR or designate signature) along with a complete OR5 form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicant: To submit a grant application, download and complete the application form, convert to a PDF and submit by email.
The 2020 form can be downloaded as a word document here: BRFApplication_2020.
Naming Submission Files
To properly identify your application, use this naming convention: LastnameFirstname _ BRFApplication_ 2020.pdf
Submitting the Application
Email the application and attachment PDF to: email@example.com