Banting Research Foundation
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the program's websites for
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
The Discovery Award is for innovative health and biomedical research projects by outstanding new investigators at universities and research institutes in Canada who are within the first three years of their first academic appointment. The intent is to provide seed funding so that applicants are able to gather pilot data to enhance their competitiveness for other sources of funding.
This competition is open to new investigators at any Canadian university or affiliated research institute who:
- be a new investigator at any Canadian university or affiliated research institute who will be within the first three years of the date of first career academic appointment at the application deadline date of March 15, 2019
- have not been awarded by your institution more than $150,000 in start-up funding (exclusive of support from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation)
- have not been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds at the application deadline date. (An applicant who has been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds may submit a request for less than $25,000, such that the total sum of operating funds received from all sources during the funding year, should the application to the Banting Research Foundation be successful, not exceed $75,000.)
The application must be accompanied by a letter of nomination from the applicant’s host department or division head that:
- confirms all eligibility criteria have been met
- details the operating and the institutional start-up funds available to the applicant
- confirms the candidate has been provided the space and access to institutional infrastructure necessary to conduct the proposed research
- details a mentorship plan, including the name of a mentor, who will assist the applicant in launching their career by providing guidance with formulating research proposals, defining career goals and the timelines required to achieve them
A department/division head will be permitted to nominate only one potential applicant during each annual granting cycle.
Fund at least 6 projects per year.
Maximum Project Value
up to $25,000
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applicant to submit copy of application, letter of nomination and complete OR5 form to: email@example.com
Applicant to complete the grant application (attached), convert to a PDF and submit by email, AND mail in a hard copy. Refer to the application checklist to ensure your application is complete.
Email the application and attachment PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail or courier the hard copy of your application to: Banting Research Foundation, 6 Queen’s Park Crescent West, Room 10, Toronto, ON M5S 3H2
Visit the sponsor website for more application procedure information.
|2019 Application Form||66.5 KB|