Banting Research Foundation
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the Banting Discovery Award website for
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
The Discovery Award is for innovative health and biomedical research projects by outstanding new investigators at universities and research institutes in Canada who are within the first three years of their first academic appointment. The intent is to provide seed funding so that applicants are able to gather pilot data to enhance their competitiveness for other sources of funding. In addition, we partner with other organizations to grant co-funded Discovery Awards.
A department/division head may nominate only one applicant during each annual granting cycle.
A letter of nomination from the applicant’s host department or division head is required. The letter must confirm:
- All eligibility criteria have been met;
- The dollar amounts and sources of all operating and institutional start-up funds available to the applicant;
- The candidate has been provided the space and access to institutional infrastructure necessary to conduct the proposed research;
- That a mentorship plan is in place for the candidate as they launch their career. The mentor who will provide guidance to the applicant must be identified.
To be eligible to apply for the Discovery Award:
- You must be a new investigator at any Canadian university or affiliated research institute and be within the first three years of the date of your first career academic appointment at the application deadline date of January 24, 2023.
- You must not have received more than $200,000 in start-up funding by your institution, excluding support from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI).
- You must not have been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds at the application date of January 24, 2023. (An applicant who has been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds may submit a request for up to $25,000, provided that the total sum of operating funds received from all sources during the funding year, including any funding awarded by The Banting Research Foundation, will not exceed $75,000).
Six awards per year are funded.
Maximum Project Value
Up to $30,000 per project
The maximum duration of the grant is one year, from July 1 to June 30.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Notice of Intent Required: Applicant to submit NOI directly to sponsor using copy of the NOI submission form.
More information on Notice of Intent and how to submit, see the Banting Discovery Award website.
Application if Invited: Applicant to submit a copy of application, nomination letter from department along with a complete OR5 form to email@example.com.
Application if Invited: Applicant will receive instructions on how to complete and submit application form once NOI has been accepted.