The Franklin Institute
Since 1824, the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia has honored the legacy of Benjamin Franklin by presenting awards for outstanding achievements in science, engineering and industry. Past laureates include Thomas Edison, Marie Curie, Claude Shannon, Jane Goodall, Nikola Tesla, Stephen Hawking, Edward Lorenz, the Wright Brothers, Bill Gates, and Albert Einstein.
This year's theme is "The Physics of Soft Matter: Self-Assembling, Responsive, Smart."
Program details and timeline are not yet confirmed. This information will be updated when the program launches.
- This is an international competition for individuals who have made significant contributions to research in decision-making and/or its applications.
- Candidates must be living, and the winner must participate in The Franklin Institute Awards Week programs, to be held in April 2024 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Nominations from any individual or organization will be accepted, including self-nominations.
- Additional criteria may be found on the Bower Award and Prize for Achievement in Science web-page.
- An email of intent to nominate would be appreciated by February 28, 2023.
- Nominations are encouraged in, but not limited to, the following areas:
- polymers; emulsions; liquid crystals; colloidal liquids, crystals, and glasses
- elastomers, gels, foams, granular systems
- living matter, far-from-equilibrium systems, active matter
- technological advances based on the properties of soft matter
- measurement paradigms using soft materials and soft matter concepts.
The award, a 14k gold medal, and cash prize of $250,000 USD are presented annually to a distinguished member of the international scientific community.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please submit the nomination directly to the Bower Award and Prize for Achievement in Science web-page. Please also submit a copy of the full nomination and OR-5 to email@example.com.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online, using the application form provided on the Bower Award and Prize for Achievement in Science web-page. Please submit an OR-5 and a completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the external deadline.
For More Information
For more information contact email@example.com or Beth Scheraga at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See the Bower Award and Prize for Achievement in Science web-page for more information.