Burroughs Wellcome Fund
For More Information
Please visit BWF website for complete program information and guidelines.
The Postdoctoral Enrichment Program (PDEP) supports the career development activities for underrepresented minority postdoctoral fellows in a degree-granting institution (an institution includes its affiliated graduate and medical schools, hospitals and research institutions) in the United States or Canada whose training and professional development are guided by mentors committed to helping them advance to stellar careers in biomedical or medical research.
BWF is committed to funding the next generation of scientists and researchers, thus we have an interest in advancing the careers of underrepresented minority postdoctoral fellows. This grant is meant to supplement the training of postdocs whose research activities are already supported. It is not a research grant.
- must have no more than 36 months of postdoctoral research experience (in a research laboratory) at the time of application and not be more than 5 years from his/her Ph.D.
- must be nominated by a qualified mentor at the degree-granting institution where the applicant will conduct the postdoctoral/fellowship training. Applications must be approved by an official responsible for sponsored programs (generally from the grants office, office of research, or office of sponsored programs) at the degree-granting institution
- must have secured a postdoctoral position with funding (including support by the mentor’s existing research grants) at a degree-granting institution in the United States or Canada and must begin the postdoctoral position on or by the designated award commencement date
- must be underrepresented minorities (i.e. American Indian or Alaska Native, Black or African American, Hispanic, or Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander)
- must be citizens of the United States or Canada (at the time of application)
- must devote at least 75% of time to research
For a full explanation of the eligibility requirements, view Request for Proposals below
up to 12 awards will be granted for enrichment activities
Maximum Project Value
Year one: $20,000 will be granted to support enrichment activities of the postdoctoral fellow ($10,000 for research supplies or equipment uniquely required to enhance the postdoctoral fellow’s research and $10,000 for education and training, including for mentors in the research lab where the postdoctoral fellow is assigned.) The PDEP award cannot be used to support salary expenses or indirect costs.
Year two: $20,000 (same allocation as year one)
Year three: $20,000 will be granted to help the postdoctoral fellow advance research efforts towards the professoriate. The funds must be used to develop independent, innovative areas of research.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applicant to submit a copy of application, including signature form and compete OR5 form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information on how to apply and document required, see the Request for Proposals document below.
Applicant to download forms and templates. Once completed, follow the 'submission' process:
Upload the requested files on the “Attachments” tab of the online application. Click the “Review Your Application” on the Attachments tab to see if any errors are identified in your application. All information must be provided before the “SUBMIT” button is available. Click the “SUBMIT” button to transmit the application. An automated message will confirm that the application was successfully submitted.
How to Apply
How to Submit a Proposal:
First complete the eligibility quiz to determine if you are eligible to apply. If applicant meets the eligibility criteria, they will be allowed to access the application form.
To begin a proposal submission use this link: proposal
To return to a proposal already in progress you must use this link: saved proposal
It is recommended that applicants bookmark this page to return to a proposal in progress. Using the first link of the two immediately above will return you to the eligibility quiz.
|PDEP Request for Proposals||91.85 KB|