Natural Resources Canada (NRCAN)
Climate Change Adaptation Program
For More Information
See the Call for Proposal webpage
NRCAN’s Climate Change Adaptation Program (2022–2027) helps to position Canada’s regions and sectors to adapt to a changing climate. The Program aims to:
- Support decision-makers in identifying and implementing adaptation actions;
- Enhance adaptation knowledge and skills among Canada’s workforce; and
- Increase access to climate change adaptation tools and resources.
The Program is soliciting proposals for cost-shared projects that will make important contributions to advancing adaptation progress in Canada. Up to $15 million in funding may be awarded through this Call for Proposals.
NRCAN welcomes proposals for projects that address climate change adaptation on the following topics (see the Applicant Guide for more information):
- Adaptation skills
- Emerging issues
- Natural resource sectors.
Projects requesting less than $150,000 of NRCAN funding will not be considered through this Call for Proposals.
Note: The Government of Canada may fund up to 60% of the total project costs, with the exception of projects led by Indigenous organizations, governments or communities or by Territorial governments, where NRCAN may fund up to 100% of the total project costs.
This Call for Proposals is open to individuals and organizations that are incorporated or registered in Canada, including:
- Academic institutions;
- Non-governmental organizations;
- Industry, research, and professional associations;
- Companies and businesses;
- Indigenous communities or governments;
- Community, regional and national Indigenous organizations; and
- Provincial, territorial, regional and municipal governments and their departments and agencies.
Up to $15 million in contribution funding may be awarded through this process.
Projects should have a start date no earlier than January 1st, 2024. The duration of the projects should be based on the scope of the work. Projects must be completed no later than December 31, 2026.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Completed applications, including all attachments, must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 22, 2023 at midnight Eastern Daylight Time. Late submissions will not be considered.
How to Apply
Applicants must use the Application Form (fillable PDF) available on the Call for Proposal webpage and complete all of the required fields. Within the form, applicants should clearly identify which topic the project relates to, based on the options described in Section 2.2 and Annex 1 of the Applicant Guide. Applicants are requested to consider the suggested word limits when preparing their responses to the questions. Applicants are requested to complete and save an electronic version of the Application Form, as printed and scanned versions will not be accepted. Please save this form with the name “2023 CFP – lead organization name” and put “2023 CFP – lead organization name” in the subject line of your email when submitting your application.
In addition to the Application Form, applicants will need to provide the following attachments with their application:
- Attachment: Budget using the template provided.
- Attachment: Short (two page) CV for the project lead and for each team member involved in delivering the project. Please focus on providing information that demonstrates expertise in the topic and project management.
- Attachment: Work plan (to be completed either within the Application Form OR as an attachment).
- Attachment: Letter of support from each funding source (other than NRCAN) that is making an in-kind or financial contribution to the project as described in the budget.
Complete applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com by the submission deadline. Applicants may submit more than one application to this call and are requested to submit a separate application for each proposed project.