Global Affairs Canada
The goal of the Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program is to support international collaboration between Canadian post-secondary institutions and institutions in the CARICOM, through professional development opportunities for faculty and researchers. Faculty or international liaison officers/managers, hereby referred to as “candidates”, must be employed full-time as faculty or as international liaison officers/managers at a recognized institution at the time of application and during the entire duration of their professional development, study or research stay in Canada.
Candidates must be citizens of one of the following eligible CARICOM countries: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos.
- who have obtained Canadian citizenship or who have applied for permanent residency in Canada are not eligible;
- already participating in an exchange scholarship program funded by the Government of Canada are not eligible;
- already enrolled in a degree or diploma program at a Canadian university or college are not eligible; and
- must be employed full-time as faculty or as international managers/administrators at a recognized higher education institution in an eligible country at the time of application and for the full duration of the exchange.
For details on the scholarship terms and conditions, please visit their website.
Funding for Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program scholarships is made available by Global Affairs Canada through its legal title: the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD). The Canadian institution will receive funding from DFATD for all successful candidates (faculty or international liaison officers/managers) in the form of a contribution agreement and will be responsible for disbursing the funds to scholarship recipients.
In addition to the funds allocated to the recipients by DFATD, the Canadian host institution may also claim CAD 500 per scholarship recipient to assist with administrative costs once the scholarship recipient arrives in Canada.
Maximum Project Value
The scholarship value varies depending on the duration and level of study. The scholarship value for recipients is:
- CAD 2,700 for faculty members for two to three weeks of course work or research as part of their professional development;
- CAD 2,700 for international directors, managers or administrators for two to three weeks of course work, or for a practicum in the area of internationalization of post-secondary institutions or student mobility as part of their professional development; or
- CAD 9,700 for faculty members for five to six months of study or research at the graduate level.
Canadian institutions will disburse scholarship funds to the scholarship recipient to contribute to the following costs:
- visa and/or study/work permit fees;
- airfare, for the scholarship recipient only, to Canada by the most direct and economical route and return airfare upon completion of the scholarship;
- health insurance;
- living expenses, such as accommodation, utilities and food;
- ground public transportation, including a public transportation pass; and
- books and supplies required for the recipient’s study or research, excluding computers and other equipment.
Please refer to Maximium Project Value regarding duration.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applications will be submitted to Global Affairs Canada by the Centre for International Programs, University of Guelph.
How to Apply
Please note: all applications must be submitted to Global Affairs Canada by the Centre for International Programs, University of Guelph. Please complete the U of G internal application form and submit it, along with the required supporting documents, to Allison Broadbent, Study Abroad Manager, email@example.com.
For more details on the program, application process and selection criteria, please visit their website.