Canada Foundation for Innovation
The objectives of the Innovation Fund competition are to:
- Enable internationally competitive research or technology development through the equitable participation of expert team members.
- Enhance and optimize the capacity of institutions and research communities to conduct the proposed research or technology development program(s) over the useful life of the infrastructure.
- Lead to social, health, environmental and/or economic benefits for Canadians.
The 2025 competition is expected to launch as early as Fall 2023. To position University of Guelph applications for success, the Research Services Offices is launching the internal process of development and evaluation in February 2023.
Aligned with CFI objectives and criteria, the University will allocate CFI envelope competitively based on:
- internationally competitive research or technology development;
- composition and expertise of the team;
- necessary and appropriate infrastructure that enhances existing capacity;
- well-defined plan to transfer the results of the research or technology development program(s) that will lead to benefits for Canadians.
The following institutional considerations will also be taken into account:
- alignment with institutional priority and prior investments;
- potential partnerships with other institutions (with access to other institutional envelopes);
- financial risk (especially where construction and renovation budgets are significant).
Maximum Project Value
Total project costs must be greater than $1 million for proposals to be considered for this competition.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
NOIs are due to Manager, Strategic Research Programs (Applicants to the last competition do not need to complete this step). See NOI Requirements for details.
NOIs are for planning purposes only, and to initiate consultation and collaboration between applicant, Office of Research, the College, and Physical Resources (PR), as needed.
EOIs from new applicants are due to Manager, Strategic Research Programs. See EOI requirements for details.
Applicants to the last competition are asked to inform Manager, Strategic Research Programs if they are interested in resubmitting and are invited to provide any updates since last submission.
How to Apply
1. Submit an NOI by internal deadline of March 27.
Information For Co-applicants
Please see Innovation Fund | Office of Research (uoguelph.ca) for full details on the timeline and requirements for Co-Applicants.