Canadian Space Agency (CSA)
For More Information
The Canadian CubeSat Project (CCP) will provide professors in post-secondary institutions with an opportunity to engage their students in a real space mission. Through this unique hands-on experience, students will learn about science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), stimulating their interest in STEM education and careers. This initiative falls under the CSA's mandate to foster the continuing development of a critical mass of researchers and highly qualified people in Canada.
The CCP also aims to ensure equitable opportunities for students across Canada, and will award up to 13 grants, one for each province and territory. This may include inter-provincial/territorial collaboration among CubeSat teams to facilitate the participation of all provinces and territories. Each grant will be worth about $200,000. The CSA will also make arrangements for the Cubesats' launches from the International Space Station (ISS) and cover the associated costs.
The CSA will use your Letter of Interest (LOI) to evaluate your level of interest in developing a Cubesat and training students in this endeavour as well as to identify the resources the CSA will require to make the CCP a success. The information you share will enable the CCP organizers to develop a national network of faculty members in post-secondary institutions who are enthusiastic about CubeSats and to foster potential inter-provincial/territorial collaboration among participating team members.
Faculty member at a post secondary institution
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
Elements to be addressed in your letter, taking into account the previously mentioned considerations:
- Your motivation to participate in the CubeSat Project.
- A description of your knowledge and experience with satellites and space missions.
- Your project management experience in projects similar in scope to building a CubeSat and/or a satellite component/instrument.
- Your likelihood of obtaining monetary and technical support from sources other than the CSA, such as from academic institution(s) (including your own), industry, provincial/territorial government.
- Your interest in collaborating with other professors and/or with industry in your province/territory or another province/territory.
- Your interest in having your name shared with other interested professors. The CSA will compile the names and contact information of all interested respondents and generate a list to be shared among them. The list will serve to encourage discussion and collaboration.
Sending your Letter of Interest:
Since this LOI is aimed at faculty members in post-secondary institutions, you should consider the following -
- Your proposed project should have the objectives of attracting students and faculty in space research; providing students with training opportunities to develop new knowledge and skills; and encouraging the participation of underrepresented students in STEM, as well as business and communications disciplines.
- Your project shall be managed with clearly defined tasks, milestones and schedule.
- Your project shall require multiple disciplinary skillsets.
- The faculty members shall be responsible for assembling and supervising a multidisciplinary team of students for the duration of the development.
- Collaboration with industry and other organizations will be encouraged.
In general, the complexity and cost of the CubeSat increase with its size. On the other hand, a larger CubeSat offers more capability due to the increased volume and mass for the payload. You will have to seek a balance between cost/complexity and capability.
Letter of Interest Format:
- Maximum of 2 pages or 500 words.
- Microsoft Word or PDF.
- A series of webinars will be hosted by CSA experts in order to provide interested professors with general information on CubeSat design and the CCP.
- Please note that this LOI shall not be interpreted as any form of commitment between the CSA and the respondent. Further, this LOI shall in no way be considered as authorization by the Crown for respondents to undertake any work, which would result in costs to either the respondent or the Crown.
- Please send your LOI, along with any additional inquiries you may have, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Respondents shall not be bound by any aspect of their response to this LOI, and the responses will not be used for screening purposes. All responses to this LOI will be held by the Crown on a confidential basis (subject to applicable legislation) unless explicitly expressed otherwise by the respondent as above. Not responding to this LOI will not penalize a post-secondary institution should the initiative take place.
For your response to be considered, you need to provide your input by May 26, 2017. Respondents are encouraged to submit their LOI as soon as possible.