Canadian Space Agency (CSA)
Future Lunar Exploration Activities - Call for Ideas
For More Information
More information and Submission Forms regarding this call can be found at the following links:
Response Submission Form: Appendix A (For Proponents of Canadian Science Payloads or Technologies)
Response Submission Form Appendix B (For Canadian or International Services Providers)
An online information session open to all Respondents will be held in English on Wednesday May 29, 2019 from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. ET. You can request access to this session via email to email@example.com. Please use "Information session (EN)" as the subject of your email.
Canada is planning for future lunar exploration activities intended to:
- Prepare Artificial Intelligence (AI)-enabled deep space exploration robotics technologies;
- To fly autonomous lunar science missions;
- To develop flight heritage for promising deep space exploration technologies; and,
- To advance autonomous medical systems to support astronaut health in space.
Altogether, this series of activities will position Canada for possible participation in future space exploration missions of the Moon, Mars and beyond.
This Call for Ideas offers Canadian, as well as international stakeholders, the opportunity to express an interest to any of the following activities on the surface of the Moon or its vicinity:
- Undertake new science projects or expand on existing science activities;
- Propose new concepts or expand on existing concepts for science payloads or missions;
- Develop, advance and then demonstrate technological solutions for space exploration; and/or,
- Provide services enabling the demonstration of science and technology activities (e.g. launch/land capabilities)
Activities proposed under this Call for Ideas must be completed within the next five (5) years, i.e. before the end of March 2024. Note that this Call for Ideas is not related to related to the Canada's contribution of an autonomous robotics system (a next-generation Canadarm) to the NASA-led Lunar Gateway.
Respondents to this Call for Ideas must clearly identify the following key elements:
- The specific scientific, technologic and/or commercial goal(s) the mission/contribution will address and how;
- Description of the proposed science, technology, application or launch/delivery services to the Moon;
- Mission and approach to get to the destination within the specified timeline;
- Possible partnerships;
- Science and Technology readiness level;
- Impacts and benefits for Canada;
- Cost and feasibility;
- Opportunities and future development including a roadmap for subsequent contributions;
- Requirements for pre-space or space demonstration of the technology/science payload (if applicable) – i.e. Platforms, trajectories, etc
Any Canadian or International organization, industry, academia or otherwise, can submit a response to this Call for Ideas.
Responses to this Call for Ideas are not mandatory to be eligible to subsequent call for opportunities.
Following receipt and analysis of the responses to this Call for Ideas, the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) may then choose to issue a variety of funding initiatives through grants, contributions and/or contracts awards. At that time, interested parties will have the opportunity to further develop their project concepts and submit them for funding.
It is emphasized that this Call for Ideas is for planning and information purposes only and is not to be construed as a commitment by the Government of Canada to enter into a financial agreement, nor will the Government of Canada pay for information solicited.
Maximum Project Value
To Be Determined
To Be Determined
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Interested applicants should submitted their responses directly (file size limited to 10MB) to CSA at this email address before Midnight (ET) June 28, 2019. Should your package be larger than 10MB, please follow the instructions in the "How to Apply" section of this Research Alert.
How to Apply
The Response Submission Form must be submitted electronically by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mailing a digital media (e.g., USB key) to:
Call for ideas for Future Lunar Exploration Activities
Space Exploration Development
Canadian Space Agency
6767 Route de l'Aéroport
Saint-Hubert, Quebec Canada J3Y 8Y9
Please note that responses containing information identified by the submitter as "Proprietary" or "Confidential" should be sent by mail to ensure their secure delivery. If sent by email, please ensure that the document file does not exceed 10 MB in size. Digital media sent by mail will not be returned to the Respondents.