For More Information
For more information about this funding opportunity visit the CANARIE website.
The purpose of the program is to:
- Provide software tools to Canadian researchers to reduce time to discovery.
- Allow researchers to make effective use of Canadian digital infrastructure.
- Promote re-use of tools to minimize the costs of software development prior to the start of research.
- Create a community of research software developers in Canada to further accelerate discovery through collaborative software development and sharing of expertise.
Under this competitive call, $4.5M in funding will be contributed to Research Software Platform development teams to modify and maintain an existing platform in order to meet the needs of at least one new research team. A platform, known internationally as a research gateway, is a software package that supports a large portion of what researchers need to do in their workflow.
The purpose of the call is to:
- Provide researchers with funding to adapt existing software to meet their research needs;
- Reduce software development duplication by promoting the sharing of platforms and reducing new development; and
- Extend platform lifetimes and support a larger base of researchers by providing a maintenance funding model.
Research teams that would like to adopt an existing platform, including, but not limited to those funded under previous CANARIE Research Software calls;
Platform contributors that would like to on-board a new research team(s).
The maximum funding available per project is $225K, broken down as follows:
- Up to $100K for software development required to modify an existing platform to meet the needs of multiple research teams and on-board at least one (1) new research team. The maximum funding period will be 12 months.
- Up to $125K of post development platform maintenance and support for the 15 months ending September 30, 2020. Maintenance includes bug fixes, enhancements, new features and changes in response to user feedback.
Participants may register for one of three information webinars. The webinars will take place December 19, 2017; January 11, 2018; January 12, 2018. Please see the CANARIE website to register.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.