Research Software Program
For More Information
- Proposal Guidelines
- Statement of Work
- Schedule of Eligible Costs
- Preliminary Budget Template
- Frequently Asked Questions
Under this competitive call, $2M in funding is available for Research Software Platform development teams to modify and maintain an existing Platform to meet the needs of at least one new research team.
CANARIE has been investing in the development of software to support scientific research since 2007. In its last mandate (2012-15), CANARIE funded the development of nearly 70 research software tools. These tools enable Canadian scientists to analyze, visualize and share immense volumes of research data, transforming data into knowledge and insights that contribute to Canada’s economic and social development.
The purpose of this Program is to:
- Provide software tools to Canadian researchers to reduce time to discovery.
- Allow researchers to make effective use of Canadian digital infrastructure.
- Promote re-use of tools to minimize the costs of software development prior to the start of research.
- Create a community of research software developers in Canada to further accelerate research through collaborative software development and expertise sharing.
- Researchers and software developers with access to, and in-depth knowledge of an existing research software platform, employed by a Canadian university, college, corporation or other legally recognized entity that will act as the Lead Contractor, are eligible to apply. The “Lead Contractor” must be able to enter into a binding legal contract with CANARIE.
- The existing platform must currently have one research team using the platform, and
- The funding applicant must have identified at least one new research team that is committed to using the existing platform to facilitate their research.
Maximum funding available per Research Software Platform development team under this call is $500K, as follows:
- Up to $250K for software development required to modify the existing platform to meet the needs of multiple research teams and on-board one (1) new research team. The maximum funding period is 12 months.
- Up to $100K per year of post-development platform maintenance and support. This funding period extends to June 30, 2019.
- Up to $100K per year ($8,333 per month) for platform maintenance and support for the 15-month period July 1, 2019 to September 30, 2020, subject to successful recruitment of a second new research team by March 31, 2019. (Maximum = $125K)
- Up to $120K per year ($10,000 per month) for platform maintenance and support for the 15-month period July 1, 2019 to September 30, 2020 for those platforms that successfully recruit three (3) or more additional new research teams (i.e. total of four (4) or more including the applicant) by March 31, 2019. (Maximum = $150K)
For this call and subsequent calls, preference will be given to funding, maintenance, and support for research disciplines other than those which are currently supported by the platform.
- Funding decisions announced: May 1, 2017
- Funding period: July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2019 with potential for extension to September 30, 2020
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Intent to Apply must be emailed to CANARIE
Full Proposal, Budget and completed OR-5 due to the Office of Research
Full Proposal and Budget deadline to CANARIE
How to Apply
All applicants must notify CANARIE of their intent to apply, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by November 30, 2016 at 16:00 Eastern Time. CANARIE will invite applicants who have expressed such intent to a video conference information session to answer questions about the call and to provide more details about the submission process.
Information For Co-applicants
If you need to meet a deadline set by the lead institution for this opportunity, please ensure that you provide the Office of Research with at least 5 days in advance of the lead institution’s deadline to review the application, or your proposed component of the project. Please be in touch with the Office of Research (contact information below) ahead of the deadline if it looks like it will be difficult for you to submit all the required documentation on time (i.e. budget, proposal, OR-5 Form).