Cancer Research Society
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the program's website for
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
Scholarships for the Next Generation of Scientists is a Cancer Research Society funding program with the goal of supporting the future generation of Canadian researchers. The award consists of two parts covering a period of three years, with no possibility for renewal.
Part 1: 1 year - $50,000
The one-year postdoctoral salary award are for a candidate finishing their fellowship. The candidate must have completed at least two (2) years of postdoctoral training when they will accept the salary award on September 1st .
There is a possibility of extending Part 1 of this award for a maximum period of six months. See FAQ for more details.
Part 2: 2 years $120,000
($60,000 / year)
The operating grant is awarded once the candidate has obtained a faculty position at a recognized Canadian institution. This grant is for a maximum of two years.
Important: Applying for only one part of the award is prohibited.
- Each candidate must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident for the entire scholarship (parts 1 and 2) and must be residing in Canada at the starting date of part 2 of the scholarship (operating grant). Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residence is required.
- Each candidate must be registered as a postdoctoral fellow in a university or accredited institution and must commit to starting work as a researcher in a university or accredited Canadian institution between January 1, 2020 and March 1, 2021.
- A research associate who wishes to pursue a career as an independent investigator may also be eligible to apply.
- The candidate must make the commitment to devote at least 75% of their time to research (fulltime). The candidate must also demonstrate their capacity or potential to be a competitive researcher at the provincial, national, and international levels.
- Applicants whose postdoctoral training may have been delayed due to extenuating circumstances are invited to contact the Cancer Research Society to determine their eligibility.
- Candidates doing post-doctoral training in the same department in which they received their doctorate degree or accepting an academic position in the same institution in which they did their post-doctoral training may be disqualified for an award.
Maximum Project Value
Part 1: $50,000
Part 2: $60,000 each year up to $120,000
Applicant has two options for submitting their application: