Cancer Research Society (CRS)
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the program's websites for
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
Scholarships for the Next Generation of Scientists is a Cancer Research Society funding program with the goal of supporting the future generation of Canadian researchers. The award consists of two parts covering a period of three years, with no possibility for renewal.
Part 1: 1 year - $50,000
The one-year postdoctoral salary award is for a candidate finishing his/her fellowship. The candidate must have completed at least two (2) years of postdoctoral training when he/she will accept the salary award on September 1st.
This training may take place outside of Canada.There is a possibility of extending Part 1 of this award for a maximum period of six months. See our FAQs for more details
Part 2: 2 years $150,000
($75,000 / year)
2020 will mark the Cancer Research Society’s 75th anniversary!
Exceptionally, to celebrate this milestone, the best applicants will be awarded $75,000 per year for a maximum of two years.
The operating grant is awarded once the candidate has obtained a faculty position at a recognized Canadian institution.
Important: Applying for only one part of the award is prohibited.
- Each candidate must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident for the entire scholarship (parts 1 and 2) and must be residing in Canada at the starting date of part 2 of the scholarship (operating grant). Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residence is required.
- Each candidate must be registered as a postdoctoral fellow in a university or accredited institution and must commit to starting work as a researcher in a university or accredited Canadian institution between January 1, 2021 and March 1, 2022
- A research associate who wishes to pursue a career as an independent investigator may also be eligible to apply.
- Applicants whose postdoctoral training may have been delayed due to extenuating circumstances are invited to contact the Cancer Research Society to determine their eligibility.
- Candidates doing post-doctoral training in the same department in which they received their doctorate degree or accepting an academic position in the same institution in which they did their post-doctoral training may be disqualified for an award.
SCHOLARSHIP AWARD – FELLOWSHIP (PART 1) Candidates must have held a doctoral degree (PhD, MD, DMV, etc.) for less than 6 years at the beginning of the fellowship part of the award (part 1). For example, for a scholarship starting on September 1, 2020, a candidate should have obtained his/her doctoral degree after August 31, 2014. In addition, the candidate must have been undergoing postdoctoral training for at least two (2) consecutive years without interruption with at least 75% of the time devoted to research. The same conditions apply to research associates who wish to pursue a career as an independent investigator.
SCHOLARSHIP AWARD - OPERATING GRANT (PART 2) The candidate must obtain an academic appointment in a Canadian university or accredited institution and must begin his/her functions between January 1, 2021 and March 1, 2022.
No later than one month before the beginning of the payment of the operating grant part (part 2), the candidate must provide the Cancer Research Society with an electronic version of the “Commitment Form” and the “Disclaimer and Indemnity - Young Investigator” page with the appropriate signatures.
If the candidate has not finished his/her fellowship or if he/she has not obtained an academic appointment in a Canadian university or accredited institution by March 1, 2022, the candidate’s part 2 of the award will be cancelled.
Maximum Project Value
Part 1: $50,000
Part 2: $75,000 each year up to $150,000
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
This year we will accept non-official copies of the transcripts of graduate university degrees (master and doctorate). You may include these documents with your application package. We will also accept the applications without transcripts if copies are not available before the May 22 deadline.
Applicant to submit application and the accompanying documents submitted by clicking the button located on CRS website.