Canadian Association of Physicists
CAP/DCMMP Brockhouse Medal
The purpose of this award is to recognize and encourage outstanding experimental or theoretical contributions to condensed matter and materials physics. While the main criterion for awarding the Brockhouse medal is the excellence of the research accomplishments, preference will be given for recent important advances in condensed matter and materials physics.
The candidate’s research should have been done primarily in Canada or in affiliation with a Canadian university, industry or government laboratory. The medal will be awarded by the Canadian Association of Physicists on the recommendation of a selection committee established by the Division of Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. The medal will normally be awarded to one person but may be shared when several candidates have contributed significantly to the same research accomplishments.
Program details and timeline are not yet confirmed. This information will be updated when the program launches.
- The nominator must be a member of the CAP.
- The nominee must be a member in good standing of the CAP or a Council-approved Canadian professional science society (see list below) in order to be nominated.
- The nominee must have spent the major part (i.e. more than one-half) of his/her working career in Canada or must have made a major contribution to physics after returning to a permanent position in Canada.
The nominee must belong to one of the following societies to be eligible for the CAP/DCMMP Brockhouse Medal:
- Canadian Association of Physicists
- Canadian Astronomical Society
- Canadian Geophysical Union
- Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
- Canadian Organization for Medical Physicists
- Canadian Society for Chemistry
Recipient(s) of the award will receive a medal in addition to a certificate citing the contributions being recognized by the award. The recipient(s) will also be invited to give a talk at the CAP Congress where the medal will be presented.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please submit the nomination through the CAP's online nomination form found on the CAP/DCMMP Brockhouse Medal Nomination Procedures website. Please also submit a copy of the full nomination to email@example.com.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online, using the application form provided on the CAP/DCMMP Brockhouse Medal Nomination Procedures website. Application criteria may be found on the CAP/DCMMP Brockhouse Medal website. Please submit a completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.