The Centre for Advancing Responsible and Ethical Artificial Intelligence (CARE-AI)
CARE-AI SEED Fund
The Centre for Advancing Responsible and Ethical Artificial Intelligence (CARE-AI) at the University of Guelph integrates ethics, governance and social responsibility with technical leadership. CARE-AI offers SEED grants for Affiliated Faculty at the University of Guelph. CARE-AI’s SEED grants are to support the formation of interdisciplinary research collaborations that have the potential to achieve national or international recognition for research. These grants are intended to spearhead new research initiatives through development of a prototype, feasibility study, hackathon, or sprint. Leveraging other sources of funding (including the Food From Thought (FFT) Digital Agriculture Research Fund) is encouraged.
The CARE-AI SEED Fund offers AI Inspire Grants and AI Innovation Grants:
- AI Inspire Grants support workshops, events, hackathons or seminars that bring thought leaders in AI methodology, AI applications and/or AI responsibility to UofG. CARE-AI can assist in raising visibility and awareness of the initiative by circulating it through the CARE-AI community.
- AI Innovation Grants support the formation of interdisciplinary research collaborations that have the potential to achieve recognition on the national or international stage.These grants are intended to spearhead new research initiatives by helping to fund the development of a prototype, feasibility study or research sprint.
- Full-time continuing faculty member or other academic staff at UofG.
- Eligible to hold Tri-Agency grants.
- Applicants should be CARE-AI Affiliated faculty.
- The grant applicant must be the primary investigator.
- Applicants can only be awarded once per year.
Maximum Project Value
AI Inspire Grants provide funding up to $1500 of direct costs.
AI Innovation Grants provide funding up to $5000 per year for up to 2 years for the direct costs of the research.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
All applications must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm EST.
Successful applicants will need to submit a signed OR-5 form and copy of the approved application and award documentation to email@example.com.
How to Apply
- Fill out the CARE-AI SEED Funding Application Form (see attached).
- Compile the Supplementary Documentation (as outlined in CARE-AI SEED Funding Application Form)
- Combine the application form and the supplementary documentation into a single PDF document and email your application directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "CARE-AI SEED Funding Application".
For further details on eligibility and how to apply, contact email@example.com.