Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR)
CIFAR AI Catalyst Grants
The National Program Committee of the CIFAR Pan-Canadian AI Strategy is seeking proposals for CIFAR AI Catalyst Grants.
Funding of up to $50,000 per year for up to two years is available to support NEW collaborative research and exchange with current Canada CIFAR AI Chairs. Applicants must be Canadian Principal Investigators (PIs) located at different institutions and not affiliated with the same AI Institute (Amii, Mila or the Vector Institute), who have not previously collaborated. CIFAR AI Catalyst grants are intended to catalyze new research areas and collaborations in machine learning and its application to different areas of science and society. Preference will be given to:
- Proposals that are multidisciplinary (i.e. co-investigators come from different disciplines); and/or
- Proposals that advance training opportunities for underrepresented groups; and/or
- Proposals that include early-career investigators.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility:
- Proposals must be submitted jointly by at least two PIs, each based at different Canadian institutions and not affiliated with the same AI Institute
- One applicant must be a current Canada CIFAR AI Chair
- The applicants must not have previously collaborated (no co-authored publications)
- Applications will be accepted from researchers based at any Canadian institution and in any discipline, but applicants must be eligible to apply for funding from the Tri-Council
- If approved, funding will be awarded to the CCAI Chair’s AI Institute and they will administer annual payments of the grant
CIFAR expects to fund 10 two-year projects.
Maximum Project Value
$50,000 per year for up to two years.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.