The CIHR Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health (CIHR-IHDCYH) and the CIHR Institute of Genetics (CIHR-IG)
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the program's websites for
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
Investigators developing multi-site research studies in Canada often encounter challenges with gaining the Research Ethics Board (REB) approvals required, in particular where such studies are planned across more than one province. This can delay initiation of multi-jurisdiction research studies in Canada, increase the financial burden of conducting research, and compromise accrual of patients. Such delays in the overall initiation of research studies reduce the ability of Canadians to compete in the international arena and may ultimately lead some sponsors to conduct research outside of Canada.
This funding opportunity will support streamlining of the ethics approval process for pediatric research, including both research studies and clinical trials.
The objectives of the Pediatric REB initiative is expected to:
- establish a multi-province streamlined ethics review process for multi-site studies with the goal of achieving a single ethics review for pediatric research studies.
For an application to be eligible:
- The Nominated Principal Applicant must be appointed at an eligible institution (See Institutional Eligibility Requirements for eligibility process and associated timelines)
- Principal Applicants must include:
- An independent researcher who is a leader in pediatric research
- At least one expert in the research ethics approval process with knowledge of research ethics governance structures
- The participants must include geographic representation from at least four provinces, as well as relevant knowledge users/decision makers, such as provincial regulators.
- Applicants must provide letters of support that demonstrate engagement from a minimum of eight of the pediatric tertiary hospitals and/or their associated research institutes (as applicable), and reflect their current state of readiness.
For additional eligibility requirements for individuals, refer to the Individual Eligibility Requirements.
The total amount available is $ 2,500,000, enough to fund one grant.
Maximum Project Value
The maximum amount is $500,000 per year OR a maximum total of $2,500,000.
up to five years
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.