CIHR’s Institutes and Initiatives
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the CIHR Institutes and Initiatives website for
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
CIHR's mandate is to excel, according to internationally accepted standards of scientific excellence, in the creation of new knowledge and its translation into improved health, more effective health services and products, and a strengthened health care system through a unique interdisciplinary structure made up of virtual Institutes and Initiatives. The Institutes and Initiatives are networks of researchers and stakeholders brought together to focus on important health problems, with each Institute/Initiative dedicated to a specific area of focus, linking and supporting researchers pursuing common goals.
One of the mechanisms for the Institutes/Initiatives to achieve their mandates is by offering planning and/or dissemination grants within the Institute Community Support (ICS) Program. The Planning and Dissemination Grants are intended to provide support for planning and/or dissemination activities consistent with the mandate of CIHR and relevant to CIHR Institutes, or Initiatives.
Note: This funding opportunity is not intended to support the direct cost of research (e.g., pilot projects, feasibility studies or operating grants), principal and co-investigator salaries or research equipment. Primary research or primary data collection will not be supported through this funding opportunity
- The Nominated Principal Applicant must be one of the following:
- An independent researcher;
- A knowledge-user;
- A trainee; or
- A Canadian non-governmental, not-for-profit organizations (including community or charitable organizations). If an organization or institution is uncertain about its eligibility for funding through this funding opportunity, it is encouraged to seek clarification from the CIHR Contact Centre
- At the time of application, Nominated Principal Applicant individuals must be affiliated with one of the following institution types (see Institutional Eligibility Requirements for eligibility process and associated timelines):
- Canadian post-secondary institutions or their affiliated institutions including hospitals and research institutes: or
- Canadian non-federal government departments or agencies, including regional health authorities, when specific programs of those departments or agencies do not fund the activity that forms the subject matter of the grant.
- Activities/events starting or taking place before the funding start dates are not eligible for funding through this opportunity.
- Applicants are not eligible to apply for additional funding for an activity or event which has been previously funded by CIHR.
- Multiple applications for the same activity or event submitted by either the same Nominated Principal Applicant or a different one are not allowable. In such cases, the first application submitted through ResearchNet will be considered and reviewed. Any subsequent applications will automatically be withdrawn.
The total amount available is $1,480,000.
Maximum Project Value
See the Funds Available section of the sponsor guidelines for the available funds for each participating Institutes/Initiatives.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.