Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD)
Canada-Brazil Awards - Joint Research Projects
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the program's website.
The objective of this program is to support team-oriented research projects between Canadian and Brazilian universities collaborating in mutually beneficial areas of research. The collaborations are expected to result in high quality research that will have an impact in Canada and in Brazil through the mobility of both Canadian and Brazilian research students and Project Leads. This program is open to all academic disciplines.
- Eligible Project Lead: must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, current active faculty member, (includes Professors Emeritus), must have held the title of doctor for at least four years, and must be proficient in English or French.
- Eligible Project Members: must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, must be full time enrolled graduate students (both Masters and PhD students) with the agreement of their Brazil partner institution, and must be proficient in English or French.
Funding provided for a maximum of five (5) Canadian project members (graduate students) per project, per year for a maximum period of six (6) months in Brazil. Funding will also be provided to the Canadian Project Lead for a short-term faculty visit to Brazil per year.
The scholarship value is:
- $2,700 CAN for the Canadian Project Lead for a minimum period of seven days;
- $7,200 CAN for Canadian Project Members for research exchanges of four months; or
- $9,700 CAN for Canadian Project Members for research exchanges of five to six months.
- visa and/or study/work permit expenses;
- funding for the most economical round trip economy class ticket;
- funding for health insurance;
- living allowance; and
- required books, supplies, and equipment, not including computers.
Brazilian teams: On behalf of the Government of Brazil, the Federal Agency for Support and Evaluation of Graduate Education (CAPES) will provide funding for the Brazilian team. Information regarding scholarship values related to the Brazil project team can be accessed on the CAPES website (Portuguese only).
$300 CAN per project member
Project activities should be scheduled over 24 months and must begin between April 2018 and September 2018.
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) REQUIRED: There must be a MOU or written agreement between the collaborating Canadian (i.e., University of Guelph) and Brazilian institutions in place PRIOR to submission of the application.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Researchers will be responsible for submitting their application including all supporting documents through the DFATD online submission portal.
Information For Co-applicants
If you need to meet a deadline set by the lead institution for this opportunity, please ensure that you provide the Office of Research with at least five days in advance of the lead institution’s deadline to review the application, or your proposed component of the project. Please be in touch with the Office of Research (contact information below) ahead of the deadline if it looks like it will be difficult for you to submit all the required documentation on time (i.e. budget, proposal, OR-5 Form).