Government of Canada - Department of National Defence
The Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security Program (IDEaS) - Innovation Network - Topic Area: Autonomous Systems
For More Information
IDEaS Website - Second Call for Proposals for Innovation Networks
- This call is open exclusively to multidisciplinary teams of researchers. The primary affiliation of the investigators must be from at least three separate institutions and/or organizations.
- Eligible institutions or organizations are:
- Canadian universities and educational institutions chartered in Canada;
- Incorporated Canadian for-profit and not-for-profit organizations;
- Provincial/territorial and municipal government organizations; and
- International universities and educational institutions.
- Each Micro-net can be composed of investigators from any combination of institutions and organizations from the list above, however, at least one Canadian university must be included. For example, Micro-net members from two universities and one for-profit organization would be deemed eligible.
- Individuals from the institutions and organizations listed above and who are members of existing networks, associations, groups, consortia, etc. may participate.
- All organizations/institutions must possess the legal status necessary to enter into a funding agreement.
- While the participation of international partners in Micro-nets is encouraged, the IDEaS Program Office reserves the right to reject, at its sole discretion, proposals which include participants affiliated with non-Canadian universities and educational institutions. Applicants potentially affected by this should consult with the IDEaS Program Office prior to submitting their proposals.
- The primary affiliation of at least one of the Principal Investigators (see Section 3.2) must be a Canadian university. This person will be designated the Lead Applicant, and their university will be designated the Initial Recipient.
- The Lead Applicant will represent the Micro-net for the purposes of the application process. The Initial Recipient must be the signatory to the Contribution Agreement on behalf of the Micro-net. The Initial Recipient will receive, manage and distribute payment(s) to the Micro-net members’ institutions or organizations (hereinafter referred to as the (Ultimate Recipients) for eligible activities and costs.
- See Annex A – Roles and Responsibilities of the Initial Recipient for more details.
- The teams forming the Micro-nets under the CFPMN must be multidisciplinary and composed of:
- One to three Principal Investigator(s), who will assume the scientific and internal management of the Micro-net.
- A minimum of four Co-Investigators.
- Any number of Collaborators.
- Principal Investigators and Co-Investigators must:
- Justify, by means of a detailed budget linked to specific activities, that they require a financial contribution in order to achieve the proposal’s objectives.
- Demonstrate they will be adequately involved in the Micro-net’s activities to increase the probability of success of the proposed research.
- Individual researchers may submit a maximum of one proposal to any one CFPMN as a Principal Investigator, and two as a Co-Investigator.
Eligible Micro-net Activities
- Applications must include proposed R&D activities to be carried out by the Micro-net, to address one or more specific aspect(s) of the defence and security Innovation Challenge identified in the CFPMN. The R&D activities include conceptual design, requirements analysis, proof of concept, systems development, validation and integration, testing and prototyping, generally representative of, but not limited to, SRL s 1-6.
- Other eligible activities include participation in scientific conferences, and public outreach.
$9M total available
Maximum Project Value
Not to exceed 15% of the total approved eligible costs
Up to 36 months from award
An Information Session on the 2nd Call for Proposals for Innovation Networks will be held by Web conference on July 31, 2018. For more information and to register.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Letter of Intent (LOI): Researcher to submit full copy of LOI, along with budget and signed OR-5, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Proposal (If Invited): Applicants invited to submit a full proposal must submit their full application to email@example.com, no later than two weeks prior to submission via the Application Portal. Please note, a signature from the U of G's authorized representative is required on the completed application prior to submission via the portal
Full Proposal (If Invited): Successful applicants at the LOI stage will be invited to submit a Full Proposal. Full Proposals must be submitted via the Application Portal by the Lead Applicant.
How to Apply
Applicants must create a login and password to access the Application Portal. The LOI package must include a completed project LOI Form signed by the Lead Applicant and, if applicable, the other Principal Investigators
Successful applicants at the LOI stage will be invited to submit a Full Proposal.
- A completed application form, which includes:
- A description of the proposed R&D activities;
- An itemized budget for the project, indicating projected expenditures, and cash flow requirements, as well as confirmed and potential revenues and other sources of funds;
- The names, affiliations and contact details of Principal Investigator(s) and Co-Investigators, and point of contact for the Initial Recipient; and
- The identification of all sources of funding relevant to the proposal.
- Signatures of delegated authorities of Initial and Ultimate Recipient
- Canadian Common CVs for all Principal Investigators and Co-Investigators, including a summary of significant contributions of the Principal Investigator(s) and Co-Investigators over the past six (6) years. (Applicants will be required to register and generate an IDEaS-CFPMN Common CV with Canadian Common CV (https://ccv-cvc.ca/);
- Letters of support from Collaborators (if applicable)
- Letters from other funding contributors confirming their cash and/or In-Kind Contributions, if applicable;
- The Declaration of Confidentiality, Access to Information Act and Privacy Act form signed by the duly authorized representative
|IDEaS Application Guide||278.62 KB|