Grand Challenges Canada
The Options for Pregnancy Termination (OPTions) Innovation Initiative
For More Information
The goal of Options for Pregnancy Termination (OPTions) Innovation Initiative is to support Bold Ideas with Big Impact® for women’s and girls’ access to safe abortion in low- and middle-income countries, where there are one or more legal grounds to support it. Grand Challenges Canada seeks innovative and transformative approaches that put women and girls in control of where, when and how they terminate their pregnancy. The focus of this call is therefore to support the development and testing of:
- new approaches to increasing early access to existing abortion products and services, and
- new methods of pregnancy termination.
- Eligible applicants include social enterprises and other recognized institutions (e.g., non-profit organizations, academic institutions, and for-profit companies) that are formed and legally incorporated, that can successfully execute the activities in their respective technical area, and that are capable of receiving and administering grant funding. Sole proprietorships are not eligible for funding.
- A project can have only one (1) Project Lead, who must be affiliated with the institution from which the proposal is being submitted.
- A Project Lead may only be listed on one (1) application to this Request for Proposals; however, an institution may submit multiple applications. For multiple applications to be considered from a single institution, the applications must each list a different Project Lead. Please note: each Project Lead must register for their own unique Fluxx Portal account
Assuming a sufficient number of proposals of merit are received, approximately 20 seed grants (up to $250,000 each) will be awarded in this round.
Maximum Project Value
10%. Please see Section 4.6 of the attached Request for Proposals Guidelines document for more information.
18 to 24 Months. Please note - All successful applicants must complete their project within 24 months. No-cost extensions will not be provided and exceptions are at Grand Challenges Canada’s sole discretion.
A limited number of innovations funded through this RFP may have the opportunity to apply for transition-to-scale funding of up to $1,000,000 CAD, if funding is available, to support the refinement, testing and implementation for scale of innovative solutions that have already achieved proof of concept. Transition-to-scale projects are expected to demonstrate large-scale, real-world impact on access to safe abortion and move towards scale and sustainability. Transition-to-scale projects require support from partners who bring both matching funds and the necessary skill sets to the innovations to operate sustainably at scale.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through Grand Challenges Canada Fluxx Portal. If you do not already have an account, the sponsor suggests creating one no later than Tuesday, February 5, 2019, due to processing times.
Information For Co-applicants
If you need to meet a deadline set by the lead institution for this opportunity, please ensure that you provide the Office of Research with at least five days in advance of the lead institution’s deadline to review the application, or your proposed component of the project. Please be in touch with the Office of Research at firstname.lastname@example.org ahead of the deadline if it looks like it will be difficult for you to submit all the required documentation on time (i.e. budget, proposal, OR-5 Form).