Ontario Ministry of Research, Innovation, and Science
Low Carbon Innovation Fund
For More Information
For more information about the program streams, please read the Program Guidelines.
The Low Carbon Innovation Fund is a fund to help researchers, entrepreneurs and companies create and commercialize new, globally competitive, low-carbon technologies that will help Ontario meet its GHG emissions reductions targets.
The types of projects funded include:
- first time application of a GHG reduction technology that addresses a specific need
- the use of a proven technology application that has been successful in a different sector/industry, but is unproven in the proposed application
- projects demonstrating a significant improvement or enhancement to an existing GHG reduction technology solution
- technology validation (e.g. proof-of-concept and prototype development)
The project must:
- be done in Ontario
- have the potential to help Ontario meet its Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reduction goals as part of the Climate Change Action Plan
- be completed within two years
- be either a company incorporated in Ontario or Canada with a permanent establishment in Ontario or a publicly assisted Ontario university or college of applied arts and technology
- have funding commitments from sources other than the Government of Ontario at the time of business case submission
- be able to commercialize the technology solution in Ontario
- meet all other eligibility requirements identified in the program guidelines
Maximum Project Value
The maximum contribution from the Province is $5 million. The Applicant and/or its partners must provide the remainder of the funding.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Notify Strategic Programs of your intent to submit an eligibility assessment at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Notify Strategic Programs and Infrastructure Grants (SPIG) at email@example.com of your intent to submit an Eligibility Assessment by Dec. 4. Upon notification, we will work with you to establish a feasible timeline and process for submission.
To assist you in preparing the application data, click here to access detail on Parts 1-6 input requirements for the EA. Please prepare responses in Word so that the pre-prepared responses can be pasted into the appropriate textboxes.
Click here to access detail on Parts 1-7 input requirements for the LCIF Stream 1 Business Case. Please prepare responses in Word so that the pre-prepared responses can be pasted into the appropriate textboxes.
Because the applicant to this program is the university, all applications will be submitted by the Office of Research, Strategic Programs and Infrastructure (SPIG).