University of Guelph
This grant assists University of Guelph researchers develop research grant proposals that have the potential to attract significant funding from external funding agencies. The grant supports the preparation of large-scale proposals from faculty in all disciplines.
The funds provided must be matched by the applicant’s(s’) college(s)/department(s) to a maximum of $5,000.00. The funds must be used within 12 months of the date of the award, and the application to the external sponsor must be submitted within this time frame as well.
Eligible Applicants: Individuals or groups of faculty at the University of Guelph
- The proposal must be large in scale and may require the coordination of large research teams.
- All proposals must align with the University of Guelph’s strategic research plan. Examples of large-scale funding opportunities include, but are not limited to, NSERC Alliance Grant, SSHRC Partnership Grants, New Frontiers in Research Fund (NFRF) - Transformation.
- Proposals must be submitted to the relevant external funding sponsor(s) within 12 months of the date that financial support from this fund is approved.
If you're not sure whether a program is eligible for MPDG funding, please email Patricia Van Asten at firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=MPDG.
- Travel for activities such as attendance at team meetings or for the purposes of establishing partnerships and interacting with program officers, etc.
- Meeting expenses such as those related to the arrangement of in-person, WebEx or teleconference meetings of project team members, etc.
- Personnel for activities such as grant facilitation, development and editing as well as administrative support, etc.
Before you begin your application, please speak to your Associate Dean (Research) to discuss the college's endorsement of your application for MPDG funding.
Maximum $5,000 (provided there are matching funds from the applicant's college or department)
Funding must be used within 12 months of the date of the award.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
a) A written request of three to four pages, containing the following information:
- The name of the external sponsor and the program. Include the deadline date for submission of the proposal.
- Brief description of the research plan (i.e., including scientific aims and goals).
- Additional details such as:
- Description of the research team;
- Description of anticipated partnerships and collaborations within and external to the university.
- Statement of alignment of the proposed initiative with the university’s strategic research plan
- A budget indicating the amount of funding requested and the intended use(s) of the funds.
b) A signed letter from the College/Department indicating:
- their support for your application to the external sponsor/program; and
- the amount of matching funds they will be providing.
c) An OR-5 with details on the MPDG (i.e. not the external program that you will be applying to). Specifically,
- The total amount of funding applied for is $10,000 ($5000 from University Central and $5000 from [name other sources, e.g. college]).
- The MPDG funds will not be used for research with humans or animals; certifications are not required.