University of Guelph - Office of Research Services
Major Proposal Development Grant Program
This fund assists University of Guelph researchers in developing research grant proposals that have strong potential for attracting significant funding for submission to external funding agencies.
Eligible Applicants: Individuals or groups of faculty at the University of Guelph
- This fund supports faculty in all disciplines in the preparation of large-scale proposals that require the coordination of large research teams.
- All proposals must align with the University of Guelph’s strategic research plan. Examples of large-scale funding opportunities include, but are not limited to, NSERC CREATE, NSERC Strategic Networks, SSHRC Partnership Grants, NCE, etc.
- Proposals approved to receive financial support under this program are to be submitted to the relevant external funding sponsor(s) within 12 months of the date that such financial support is approved.
- Travel for activities such as attendance at team meetings or for the purposes of establishing partnerships and interacting with program officers, etc.
- Meeting expenses such as those related to the arrangement of in-person, WebEx or teleconference meetings of project team members, etc.
- Personnel for activities such as grant facilitation, development and editing as well as administrative support, etc.
Maximum $5,000 (provided there are matching funds from the applicant's college)
Funding must be used within 12 months of the date of the award.
See the Evaluation Criteria noted on the Office of Research site.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please submit the final application package along with a complete and signed OR-5 form to the Office of Research Services at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28, 2018. Please be sure to clearly indicate the source of the matching funds.
Please note that there are three grant proposal application deadlines each year: February 28th, June 30th, October 31st.
How to Apply
A request of two to three pages contains at least the following information:
- The name of the external sponsor/program to whom the proposal will be submitted and the corresponding deadline date for submission
- Brief description of the research plan (i.e., including scientific aims and goals)
- Additional details such as:
- Description of the research team
- Description of anticipated partnerships and collaborations within and external to the university
- A budget indicating the amount of funding requested from this development fund and the intended use of funds
- Statement of alignment of the proposed initiative with the university’s strategic research plan
- A written statement from the applicant’s department chair and ADR describing support for the initiative (i.e., both cash and/or in-kind support)
- A complete and signed OR-5 form