Ontario Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
The Species at Risk Stewardship Program (SARSP) includes the Species at Risk Stewardship Fund, as well as the Species at Risk Research Fund for Ontario (SARRFO).
The objectives of the Species at Risk Stewardship Program (SARSP) are:
- Improving the status of species at risk and their habitats by supporting stewardship and recovery actions;
- Encouraging stewardship and multi-partner approaches to species at risk protection and recovery;
- Inspiring and enabling people to become involved in species at risk stewardship through outreach, youth employment opportunities and the provision of related tools and techniques; and
- Supporting scientific research that addresses important needs and knowledge gaps related to the protection, recovery and management of species at risk and their habitats in Ontario
Although all project proposals that target species listed on the Species at Risk in Ontario List are eligible for consideration, targeted priorities have been established for the 2019-20 funding year. Please review the following priorities in detail as they have changed from previous years. Applications that fail to address any of the 2019-20 priorities will be considered for funding after applications that address priorities.
Successful applicants may be:
- Indigenous communities/organizations
- Academic institutions
- Conservation Authorities
- Consulting company
- Industry organizations
- Landowners and farmers
- Municipal and local governments
- Non-government organizations
Other contributions or funding
Project proposals that include matching contributions (in-kind and financial) from a variety of sources are encouraged. Matching funds can either be matching dollars, in-kind donations, or a combination. The amount of matching funds is a criterion that will be considered when applications are reviewed, whereby project proposals with matching dollars will be evaluated more favourably than those with in-kind donations. If applicants indicate in-kind contributions, they are required to describe how they are valued. Land values cannot be used as in-kind matching funds.
The SARSP is only accepting project proposals for the 2019-20 funding year.
Current SARSP and SARRFO multi-year agreements are confirmed for the 2019-20 funding year. Payments are subject to the terms and conditions of the agreements and will require interim and final reporting for payment.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
To Apply: Please submit your application via e-mail to email@example.com before the deadline. You will receive a confirmation email within two business days of submitting your application. If you do not receive this email, please contact 705-755-5649.