For More Information
Mitacs Accelerate allows students to work closely with a partner organization and faculty supervisor, using the latest tools and techniques available to them in both academic and industrial settings. Projects are a cost-shared model with Mitacs, through the support of federal and provincial government, matching the industry partners or non-for-profit (NFP) organizations contributions.
- Full-time grad students at all Canadian universities
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and international students over the age of 18
- All academic disciplines
- Businesses and not-for-profit organizations operating in Canada
- Students must spend 50% of the internship with the academic institution and 50% with the partner organization
- Faculty at all Canadian Universities who are eligible to hold Tri-Council funds
Maximum Project Value
Interns are provided with a stipend/salary starting at $10,000 per four-month period. Typically, internships are approved for a total of $15,000, including a minimum $10,000 stipend and maximum $5,000 in research costs with $7,500 coming from the industry partner matched with $7,500 from Mitacs.
Master’s students can complete up to four internship units. PhD students can complete up to eight internship units. Postdoctoral fellows can complete up to nine internship units. Each 'internship unit' is designated as four months.
Graduate students or postdoctoral fellows seeking longer-term funding can also apply to Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship funding.
Note: There is a six- to eight-week peer review prior to approval for internship start.
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. OR-5, full proposal/budget and signed Mitacs Memorandum must be submitted to the Office of Research (firstname.lastname@example.org) a minimum of one week prior to the intended submission date to Mitacs.
Applicant submits full application, including signed memorandum, directly to Mitacs representative. The submission must be planned at least six to eight weeks in advance of the proposed internship start date.
How to Apply
- Review the following information when you begin writing your proposal:
- Get feedback on the proposal from all participants and your Mitacs business development representative.
- Collect all required signatures: intern(s), professor(s), partner contact, and university Office of Research Services or equivalent.
- Email your proposal package to your Mitacs representative.