For More Information
For a limited time (available until February 1, 2022 or while quantities last), Mitacs is increasing its funding for SME's so they pay only 25% for the first four months of a project done in collaboration with a post-secondary institution (some restrictions may apply).
Please review the guidelines outlined below:
- Submission deadline is February 1, 2022 or while quantities last.
- One discounted unit per named intern.
- Partner has to be one to 499 employees, including eligible Not-For-Profits.
- Discount is 50 per cent of one four to six month internship unit ($3,750 instead of $7,500 + HST per unit). The project can be larger, but only one unit per intern is eligible for the discount.
- Award value remains the same.
For more information on the Mitacs Accelerate program, please visit the Mitacs Accelerate Research Alert.
- Full-time grad students at all Canadian universities
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and international students over the age of 18
- All academic disciplines
- Businesses and not-for-profit organizations operating in Canada
- Students must spend 50% of the internship with the academic institution and 50% with the partner organization
- Faculty at all Canadian Universities who are eligible to hold Tri-Council funds
For partner eligibility related to the SME discount, please contact Emily Gordon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Maximum Project Value
Interns are provided with a stipend/salary starting at $10,000 per four-month period. Typically, internships are approved for a total of $15,000, including a minimum $10,000 stipend and maximum $5,000 in research costs with $7,500 coming from the industry partner matched with $7,500 from Mitacs.
Master’s students can complete up to four internship units. PhD students can complete up to eight internship units. Postdoctoral fellows can complete up to nine internship units. Each 'internship unit' is designated as four months.
Graduate students or postdoctoral fellows seeking longer-term funding can also apply to Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship funding.
Note: There is a six- to eight-week peer review prior to approval for internship start.
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis (see external deadline note below).
Applicant submits full application, including signed memorandum, directly to Mitacs representative. The submission must be planned at least six to eight weeks in advance of the proposed internship start date.
Note: Although applications are accepted on a rolling basis; submissions must be submitted to Mitacs by February 1, 2022 (or while quantities last) to be eligible for the SME discount.
How to Apply
- Review the following information when you begin writing your proposal:
- Get feedback on the proposal from all participants and your Mitacs business development representative.
- Collect all required signatures: intern(s), professor(s), partner contact, and university Office of Research Services or equivalent.
- Email your proposal package to your Mitacs representative.