For More Information
Mitacs Career Connect provides meaningful work experience for young graduates while helping companies find the talent they need to grow their business. Mitacs Career Connect currently has opportunities for projects that aim to protect the environment, create positive environmental outcomes, or address an environmental or climate change-related challenge.
- Degree or diploma post-secondary graduates
- Between 15 and 30 years old at the start of the placement
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada (no work permits or student visas)
- Not receiving employment insurance benefits during the placement
- Not currently employed by the organization
- Not immediately related to the organization supervisor, or the company’s director(s) and senior officer(s)
- Must support a green project in the science, technology, engineering or math fields
- Be sole proprietorships; for-profit organizations; provincial, territorial, regional, or municipal governments; post-secondary institutions; non-governmental organizations; or Indigenous organizations
- Provide a full-time paid work placement for six months
- Establish and follow processes for intern supervision
- Pay the approved intern salary per six-month placement
Placements valued at $20,000 to $25,000, subsidized by Mitacs at 50%.
Funding is limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
Maximum Project Value
- Offer a full-time six-month placement in a STEM field, with a focus on protecting the environment, creating positive environmental outcomes, or addressing an environmental or climate change challenge. Opportunities in the following areas are currently supported:
- Natural resource sectors, including energy, forests, minerals and metals, and earth sciences
- Climate change categories, including but not limited to:
- green manufacturing
- carbon and climate change mitigation
- energy efficiency and green building
- green services
- renewable/green energy
- resource conservation
- environmental protection
- alternative/sustainable transportation
- sustainable planning/urban design
- green retail
- Provide a clearly defined plan for the placement, including scope of work and anticipated results, and intern support such as mentorship and coaching
- Pay the intern a salary as outlined in the approved budget ($20,000–$25,000)
- Enhance the intern’s career readiness
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applicant must submit full application and supporting documents through the Mitacs Career Connect portal
How to Apply
Full application submissions must include the following completed and submitted forms through the Mitacs Career Connect portal:
Completed applications are processed in order of receipt, and Mitacs will notify applicants within two weeks.