For More Information
Mitacs Elevate is a postdoctoral fellowship with a customized research management training component. Fellows address complex challenges through:
- An exclusive research management curriculum for postdoctoral fellows in any discipline
- A minimum one-year research project (normally two years in duration) with a partner organization in need of high-level expertise
- A Partner Organization Business Case, developed to outline project objectives, risks, and stakeholder success criteria, and ensure project value
Elevate fellows progress through the program in a cohort, giving them cross-disciplinary networking and peer-learning opportunities they might not have otherwise in their careers.
Over the two-year fellowship, Elevate fellows divide their time between their partner organization project and university-based research with their faculty supervisor.
Postdoctoral fellows may apply for Mitacs Elevate fellowship if their date of graduation from a PhD program is no more than 5 years prior to the proposed start date the research project.
Successful candidates must have fulfilled all degree requirements (e.g., successful defense, final deposit, and signoff of dissertation) for their PhD at time of project start date which can be no later than February 6, 2019.
- Fellows must not have been employed for more than six months in an R&D position outside the university after receipt of their doctoral degree; and
- Fellows must not have received an offer of employment from the partner organization except an offer of this fellowship or short-term employment of up to six months while awaiting a decision on the fellowship.
- If the application is not recommended for an award, the candidate may not be eligible to apply again once he or she has accumulated more than six months of industrial or partner organization work. It is therefore recommended that candidates accept a temporary contract only if necessary and that the period of the contract be kept as short as possible.
- Fellows who have held a Mitacs Accelerate award as a Masters, or PhD student are eligible to apply. Applicants may also apply if they have been approved for no more than 3 internship units of Accelerate funding (1 year equivalent) support at the postdoctoral level to be completed before the start of the Elevate fellowship. Postdoctoral fellows who have already held a Mitacs Elevate award are not eligible to apply again to Elevate or to apply afterwards to Accelerate.
- Fellows cannot apply to multiple Mitacs programs for the same period of time.
A limited number of fully funded fellowships are available. However, Mitacs strongly recommends that fellows confirm the availability of $5,000 per year from their academic supervisor before applying.
Maximum Project Value
$60,000 annual award (plus $7,500 per year non-cash value in training)
Minimum one year research project (normally two years)
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
A completed Application Package to submit to Mitacs consists of the following:
- A completed application form
- A memorandum (Section 7 – MEMORANDUM) signed by all parties, including Office of Research signatory, submitted as a scanned PDF
- Applicant’s CV
- Proposed academic supervisor’s CV
- Three signed letters of support required, on letterhead:
- One (1) letter of support from the proposed academic supervisor
- One (1) letter of support from a former supervisor or person familiar with the fellow’s research expertise
- One (1) letter of support from an eligible partner organization on partner organization letterhead that confirms the amount of the financial commitment
- Any supplementary documents as applicable