The Mitacs Globalink Research Award supports research collaborations between Canada and select partner countries. The award is open to graduate students. Select destinations are also open to senior undergraduates. Funding and eligible disciplines vary by destination.
The following opportunities support travel and research from Canada to:
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree and/or been employed
- Cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship (unless they are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada). Citizenship requirements may vary by destination (see the About for more information).
- Must be registered for full-time studies at a Canadian university and remain as such throughout their Globalink Research Award
- Must be the legal age of majority in Canada (18 years of age or older)
- Must meet travel requirements for their intended destination, including visa and/or immigration requirements and associated documentation
- Cannot hold more than one Globalink Research Award per academic lifetime
Undergraduate eligibility: Undergraduate students can only travel to select destinations. These applicants must have completed their second year of studies prior to departure and maintain a B average in their two most recent semesters.
- Must hold a faculty position at a Canadian university
- Must be eligible to supervise graduate students and hold Tri-Council funding
- Must be recognized faculty members at their institutions
- Must be eligible to host graduate students
For eligible partners please see: http://www.mitacs.ca/about/academic-partners
$5,000 in research award to Canadian supervisor for student travel expenses for all countries.
Travel to the destination is not permitted prior to the approval of the award AND Mitacs’ receipt of the International Pre-departure and Student Code of Conduct and Ethics forms. Neither Mitacs nor its international partners are responsible for costs incurred before an application is approved.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
The student applicant must provide the complete submission package to their home supervisor. The home supervisor will submit a signed OR-5 form along with the complete application (including signature page signed by intern and host supervisor, and student CV) to Research Services at email@example.com. Please cc the student applicant on the submission to Research Services.
The applicant submits complete application by email as a PDF document to Mitacs.: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Applicants should format the subject heading as follows: "Student first and last name_Destination_Mitacs partner, if applicable" (e.g. John Doe_France_Inria, Jane Doe_Brazil)
How to Apply
A call for proposals occurs twice a year, typically in January and September. Applications are awarded competitively and subject to available funding.
- Globalink Research Award application form [zip]
- Research proposal [doc]
- Student CV on Mitacs template [doc]
- Letters of support from both participating professors. Both letters must:
- Be written on university letterhead
- Provide the supervisor’s title and department
- Outline supervisory and/or financial support for the student and project
- Describe the student’s academic and research qualities, outstanding achievements, and ability to complete the project
- Host supervisor’s CV in English or French, including funding history, publications, and graduate students supervised
- For undergraduate applicants only: transcripts for current degree program, including cumulative grade point average (GPA) and GPA for each semester
- Student Code of Conduct and Ethics [doc]*
- International pre-departure form [pdf]*
*These forms can be submitted after the submission of the application; however, funds will not be released until Mitacs receives these forms.
For more details on how to apply, visit: https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/globalink/globalink-research-award
Mitacs will contact applicants approximately 18 weeks after the deadline.