The Mitacs Globalink Research Award supports research collaborations between Canada and select partner countries.This award provides $6,000 for senior undergraduate and graduate students in Canada to conduct 12–24-week research projects at universities overseas.
The following opportunities support travel and research from Canada to universities in:
- EU member countries*
- In France, both universities and Inria Research Centres are eligible host institutions
- Saudi Arabia*
- United Kingdom*
- United States*
*New this round
- Must be registered as full-time senior undergraduates or graduate students at a Canadian university and remain as such throughout their Globalink Research Award
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree and/or been employed
- Cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship (unless they are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada).
- Must be the legal age of majority in Canada (18 years of age or older)
- Must meet travel requirements for their intended destination, including visa and/or immigration requirements and associated documentation
- Cannot hold more than one Globalink Research Award per academic lifetime
- Cannot have previously held a Mitacs-JSPS Summer Program award
- Undergraduate applicants must have completed their second year of studies prior to departure and maintain a B average in their two most recent semesters.
Home supervising professors
- Must hold a faculty position at a Canadian university
- Must be eligible to supervise graduate students and hold Tri-Council funding
Host supervising professors
- Must be recognized faculty members at their institutions
- Must be eligible to host graduate students
$6,000 for senior undergraduate and graduate students in Canada to conduct research projects at universities overseas.
Maximum Project Value
Students wishing to travel in January 2019 with $6,000 in GRA support should submit their applications to Mitacs by September 30, 2018. Please note, the Office of Research Services must receive the completed application, along with signed OR-5 by September 24, 2018. Students can submit applications at any time, but are encouraged to apply at least 16 weeks prior to their planned departure.
Travel to the destination is not permitted prior to the approval of the award AND Mitacs’ receipt of the International Pre-departure and Student Code of Conduct and Ethics forms. Neither Mitacs nor its international partners are responsible for costs incurred before an application is approved.
|Submit your application in:||For travel starting as early as:|
|January||The following summer|
|May||The following fall|
The following winter
There is a rolling intake of applications. Applicants must submit signed OR-5 form (supervisor) along with full application including signed memorandum to: email@example.com at least one week before the intended submission to Mitacs
Applicant submits full application including signed memorandum directly to Mitacs representative. The submission must be planned in advance of the proposed travel date, as per the table outlined in 'Special Notes'.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted any time, awarded competitively, and subject to available funding.
- Globalink Research Award application form [zip]
- Research proposal [doc]
- Student CV on Mitacs template [doc]
- Letters of support from both participating professors. Both letters must:
- Be written on university letterhead
- Provide the supervisor’s title and department
- Outline supervisory and/or financial support for the student and project
- Describe the student’s academic and research qualities, outstanding achievements, and ability to complete the project
- Host supervisor’s CV in English or French, including funding history, publications, and graduate students supervised
- For undergraduate applicants only: transcripts for current degree program, including cumulative grade point average (GPA) and GPA for each semester
- Student Code of Conduct and Ethics [doc]*
- International pre-departure form [pdf]*
*These forms can be submitted after the submission of the application; however, funds will not be released until Mitacs receives these forms.
For more details on how to apply, visit: https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/globalink/globalink-research-award