The Mitacs Globalink Research Award supports research collaborations between Canada and select partner countries.This award provides $6,000 for senior undergraduate and graduate students in Canada to conduct 12–24-week research projects at universities overseas.
The following opportunities support travel and research from Canada to universities in:
- EU member countries
- In France, both universities and Inria Research Centres are eligible host institutions
- Saudi Arabia
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Must be registered as full-time senior undergraduates or graduate students at a Canadian university and remain as such throughout their Globalink Research Award
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree and/or been employed
- Cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship (unless they are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada).
- Must be the legal age of majority in Canada (18 years of age or older)
- Must meet travel requirements for their intended destination, including visa and/or immigration requirements and associated documentation
- Cannot hold more than one Globalink Research Award per academic lifetime
- Cannot have previously held a Mitacs-JSPS Summer Program award
- Undergraduate applicants must have completed their second year of studies prior to departure and maintain a B average in their two most recent semesters.
Home supervising professors
- Must hold a faculty position at a Canadian university
- Must be eligible to supervise graduate students and hold Tri-Council funding
Host supervising professors
- Must be recognized faculty members at their institutions
- Must be eligible to host graduate students
$6,000 for senior undergraduate and graduate students in Canada to conduct research projects at universities overseas.
Maximum Project Value
As of July 4, 2019, Mitacs has closed the Globalink Research Award outbound call for applications for the time being. This is Mitacs' program that supports senior undergrads, grad students, and postdocs from Canada doing research at universities overseas. Interest in the program has grown quickly in a short period of time, resulting in demand that is beyond Mitacs' current budget. Mitacs is working to secure additional funding in order to satisfy this demand. All proposals submitted before June 17, 2019 will be processed.
If you have any questions or would like to be notified of updates, please contact GRA@Mitacs.ca.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
This program is currently closed.
This program is currently closed.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted any time, awarded competitively, and subject to available funding.
- Globalink Research Award application form [zip]
- Research proposal [doc]
- Student CV on Mitacs template [doc]
- Letters of support from both participating professors. Both letters must:
- Be written on university letterhead
- Provide the supervisor’s title and department
- Outline supervisory and/or financial support for the student and project
- Describe the student’s academic and research qualities, outstanding achievements, and ability to complete the project
- Host supervisor’s CV in English or French, including funding history, publications, and graduate students supervised
- For undergraduate applicants only: transcripts for current degree program, including cumulative grade point average (GPA) and GPA for each semester
- Student Code of Conduct and Ethics [doc]*
- International pre-departure form [pdf]*
*These forms can be submitted after the submission of the application; however, funds will not be released until Mitacs receives these forms.
For more details on how to apply, visit: https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/globalink/globalink-research-award