Globalink Research Internship (GRI)
Mitacs Globalink Research Internship (GRI) is now accepting faculty project submissions for Summer 2022. GRI pairs faculty in Canada with international undergrads for 12-week research projects from May to October. The Globalink program builds international networks and experiences, and positions Canada as a top destination for innovation and research among students from abroad.
- All disciplines are eligible.
- Top-ranked senior undergrads travel from Australia, Brazil, China, Colombia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, Taiwan, Tunisia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and United States.
- Faculty can submit multiple projects and re-submit projects from previous years.
In order to be eligible for hosting interns as part of the Globalink Research Internship program, you must:
- Have one of the following status at an eligible institution: Full professor, Associate professor, Assistant professor, Adjunct professor, Emeritus professor.
- Be able to supervise international students at your institution.
- Be able to host interns within the stipulated dates of the GRI program: Internships must between May 1 and July 31 and must be delivered over the course of 12 consecutive weeks .
Globalink Cycle and Important Dates
- April to June 2022: Professors submit research projects to Mitacs. All accepted projects are made available to student applicants in an online database. Professor project proposals are due June 8, 2022, by 1 p.m. PT, for 2023 Globalink Research Internships.
- July to August 2022: Projects are reviewed by Mitacs and decisions communicated to professors. All successful projects are made available to student applicants in an online database.
- August to October 2022: International students submit applications and select research projects from the online database. Mitacs conducts an eligibility review of student applications.
- November to January 2023: Mitacs provides professors with a shortlist of student candidates for their project. Professors are then asked to review student applications, conduct interviews and then rank the applicants in order of suitability. Mitacs collects student and professor rankings, then finalizes offers to students. Final results are announced in February.
- February to April 2023: Successful students start working with their Canadian host professors to arrange pre-internship details while Mitacs oversees logistics and coordinates with university administrative offices.
- May to October 2023: Globalink research interns arrive in Canada and work with supervising professors for 12 weeks on their research project.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
For more information on the program and how to apply, please visit the Mitacs Globalink Research Internship (GRI) web-page.