Mitacs and Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
JSPS Summer Program
For More Information
The Mitacs-JSPS Summer Program, offered in partnership with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) provides opportunities for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in Canada to pursue collaborative research in Japan, allowing them to advance their own research while promoting scientific progress in both Japan and Canada.
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree and/or been employed
- Must be registered as full-time graduate students or postdoctoral fellows at a Canadian university and remain as such throughout the Mitacs-JSPS program. Postdoctoral fellows may apply if their date of graduation from a PhD program is no more than 5 years prior to the proposed start date of the research project
- Must be the legal age of majority in Canada (18 years of age or older)
- Must meet travel requirements for their intended destination, including visa and/or immigration requirements and associated documentation
- Must be new to the JSPS Summer Program
- Cannot have previously held a Mitacs Globalink Research Award
Home supervising professors
- Must hold a faculty position at a Canadian university
- Must be eligible to supervise graduate students and hold Tri-Council funding
Host supervising professors
- Must be a researcher who is employed full-time or classified as being employed full-time (excluding Jokyo, assistant professors, and Joshu, research assistants) at one of the following eligible institutes:
- Universities and inter-university research institutes
- The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT)-affiliated institutes that conduct scientific research
- Other institutes designated by the Minister of MEXT
Maximum Project Value
JSPS arranges round-trip airfare and insurance. Mitacs and JSPS provide an allowance for the student or postdoctoral fellow (equivalent to 534,000 yen in total). Host supervisors are eligible for a research support allowance.
10 weeks (June 11-August 21, 2019). These dates are tentative and subject to change.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
A completed application package includes:
- Mitacs-JSPS Summer Program Application Form [zip] (you may require the latest version of Adobe Reader)
- Research proposal [doc]
- CV on Mitacs template [doc]
- Letters of support from both participating professors. Both letters must:
- Be written on university letterhead
- Provide the supervisor’s title and department
- Outline supervisory and/or financial support for the participant and project
- Describe the participant's academic and research qualities, outstanding achievements, and ability to complete the project
- Host supervisor’s CV in English or French, including funding history, publications, and graduate students supervised
- Code of Conduct and Ethics [doc]*
- International pre-departure form [pdf]*
*These forms can be submitted after the submission of the application, but no later than at least three weeks prior to intended departure. Project funds will not be released until Mitacs receives these forms.