Tuesday November 21, 2017 9:00am to 5:00pm
University of Guelph - University Centre Room 442
Registration starts at 8:45am sharp.
This full day workshop is designed to provide insight and interaction along with the know how to build and stabilize business relationships through effective networking.
Mitacs will cover who-what-where-when and why to network and participants will have the opportunity to practice what they learn. Details on the actual networking exercises will be determined by the location of each event. Activities will be customized to reflect the interests of the participants.
Through participating and completing this workshop, participants will:
- Broaden their understanding of the importance of networking
- Learn the importance of sharing contacts
- Receive insights on how to refresh, build and make the most of the networks they already have, both virtually and in-person
- Acquire the tools required to make an impact on contacts that may open doors
- Learn tools and techniques to plan and better prepare for networking opportunities
Key Topic Areas:
The Importance of Networking
- The value of a network
- Strength of weak ties
- Introducing others
- Social Media Profiles and Networking
Assessing and Building a Network
- Mapping and identifying existing networks
- Identifying networking opportunities in life and work
- Business cards: why everyone should have them and how to use them
- Networking planning and preparation
- Transactional vs. engaged networking
- Mingling and making impactful connections: The art of conversation
- Answering the questions “So what do you do?”
- Follow through and follow up
This workshop, as with all Mitacs workshops, is free for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. However, the preauthorization of a valid credit card is required as part of the registration process. A $50 penalty will be applied to all late cancellations (cancellations that are not made 5 days or more before the workshop date), no shows, or incomplete attendance. These penalties are only charged after the completion of a workshop and no charges are ever made to interns who participate in full. For answers to some frequently asked questions, please visit our Help page.
If you have any questions please contact the Training team at email@example.com