Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
The NSERC Awards for Science Promotion focus on people and groups who are inspirational in the way they promote science to the general public.
Science promotion activities with award potential could include activities such as:
- organizing science camps, fairs, clubs or programs with youth organizations;
- creating new learning materials;
- developing science and engineering-related co-op programs or job shadowing initiatives;
- arranging demonstrations, visits and lectures;
- writing books and articles;
- creating radio or television programs;
- generating public involvement through multi-media programs.
Any individual, registered non-profit organization, postsecondary institution, non-federal museum, science centre or company within Canada may be nominated for the award. Nominees will have made a successful and sustained effort to encourage public interest in, and an understanding of, the natural sciences and engineering (including math and technology) outside the formal education system. Posthumous or self-nominations will not be accepted. Current NSERC Council members are not eligible for nomination.
For More Information, please refer to NSERC Prizes - Science Promotion Call for Nominations
Individual recipients will receive a $10,000 award and group recipients a $25,000 award. In both cases, the funds are to support further science promotion activities. Funds paid to winners of this prize are subject to the PromoScience Grants Guide.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
If you wish to be considered for VPR nomination, please submit your Expression of Interest (details below) to firstname.lastname@example.org
If your nomination will be submitted by a nominator other than the VPR, please submit directly to the sponsor by the external deadline. Please also submit a copy of the full nomination and OR-5 to email@example.com.
How to Apply
Anyone with direct knowledge of an individual’s or group's contribution to science and engineering promotion may nominate that candidate for an NSERC Award for Science Promotion. Nominators may be colleagues or people who have benefited from the nominee’s contributions, such as teachers, parents, community members or administrators.
If you wish to be nominated by the VPR, candidates are invited to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the internal deadline. An EOI will include:
- A draft letter (1-2 pages) addressed to the VPR which outlines how you/your nominee meets the Award criteria.
- an up-to-date CV
If you wish to apply or nominate someone directly, please submit your application directly to the sponsor by the external deadline. Please also submit a copy of the full nomination and OR-5 to email@example.com.
The nomination package must include:
- a completed, printed and signed NSERC Award for Science Promotion Nomination Form;
- a letter or document (three pages maximum) that describes:
- the nominee’s efforts and involvement in inspiring public understanding, and developing abilities in, science and engineering;
- the impact and duration of the nominee’s activities (Note: Nominators are encouraged to include specific measures of impact.);
- the content, originality and scope of the nominee’s activities;
- three signed letters of recommendation dated within six months of the application deadline;
- supporting documentation (such as promotional material, participant feedback, media coverage, publications, awards) (four pages maximum);
- a Terms and Conditions Form for Nominees signed by the nominee;
- a Terms and Conditions Form for Nominators signed by the nominator.
Please refer to the website for more detailed Information: NSERC Prizes - Science Promotion Call for Nominations