Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE)
ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Program
For More Information
ENCQOR (Evolution of Networked Services through a Corridor in Quebec and Ontario for Research and Innovation) is a collaboration between the governments of Ontario, Quebec and Canada and is powered by five global digital technology Anchor Firms: Ericsson, Ciena Canada Inc., Thales Canada Inc., IBM Canada and CGI. There are five streams within this program. This announcement is for the Academic Technology Development stream.
The ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Program partners researchers at Ontario-based post-secondary institutions with ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firms on 5G technology development projects. Areas of research interest are defined by Challenge Statements submitted to OCE by the ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firms and posted to the OCE website on a rolling basis.
This Research Alert is for the following Challenge Statements/Project Partners (see links for more information on each Challenge Statement):
- 5G and MIMO Radar Virtual Driving and Simulation for Mass Transit - Thales Canada
- Feasibility of Si-based Quantum Information Processing - Ciena Canada
- Virtual Indoor Locationing - Ericsson Canada
- Principal investigator at an accredited, publicly-funded Ontario university, or applied research officer at an accredited, publicly-funded Ontario college (additional primary researchers must be listed as team members in the application)
- Adjunct professors may be eligible on a case-by-case basis. At a minimum, the adjunct professor must: 1) actively conduct research at an Ontario institution, 2) be allowed by the institution to hold a grant and given an institutional account, and 3) be allowed to supervise students
- The applicant must have an arms-length relationship with the ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firm Partner defined in the ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Challenge Statement for which they are applying
- Applicants must be in good financial and reporting standing with OCE
- Applicants must be willing to co-operate in providing project and outcomes metrics
- Applicants must be willing to execute a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) with the ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firm Partner defined in the ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Challenge Statement for which they are applying
- Applicants must be willing to undergo the procurement process of the ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firm Partner defined in the ENCQOR 5G Academic Techology Development Challenge Statement for which they are applying
- Applicants must be willing to enter into a funding agreement with OCE and Innovation ENCQOR
- Applicants must be willing to enter into a separate agreement with the ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firm Partner defined in the ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Challenge Statement for which they are applying
- Additional Applicant eligibility requirements may vary by Challenge Statement
- Partners are defined in the posted Challenge Statement
- Applicants must partner with an ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firm (Ciena, Ericsson, Thales)
- The ENCQOR 5G anchor firm must use the results of the project for the economic, environmental or social benefit of Ontario
- Projects must be developed in response to an active ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Challenge Statement
- Areas of technology interest and expected project outcomes will be defined in the ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Challenge Statement
- Projects must be between 12-24 months in duration. Expected project timeline will be defined in the ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Challenge Statement.
- All ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Challenge Statements and projects developed in response to these Challenge Statements must drive the development, integration, testing or validation of pre-commercial technologies with a link to the Innovation Platform as Service (iPaaS) testbed
- Project activities may vary from R&D to later stage validation- expected technology readiness level of the solution technology may vary by ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Challenge Statement but must be within TRL levels 1-7
- Projects should show a clear fit with the industry priorities outlined in the ENCQOR 5G Academic Technology Development Challenge Statement and show strong potential for commercial impact on the ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firm Partner
- The ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firm Partner must be able to utilize the results of the project for the economic, environmental or social benefit of Ontario. This includes direct economic benefit to the Anchor Firm (e.g., new jobs, increased revenue, increased productivity, cost savings), and/or indirect economic benefit to other members of the value chain, partners, or industry in Ontario (e.g. job creation, capacity building, strategic benefit). Contribution to the training and industry exposure of Highly Qualified Personnel (HQP) at the company is also a desired element.
- Intellectual Property (IP) arising from the project will be managed by the project participants as OCE does not claim or manage IP rights. Successful applicants and the ENCQOR 5G anchor firm(s) must execute OCE’s standard funding agreement, including an executed Schedule D, Intellectual Property Term Sheet (for example, in the form of a Collaborative Research Agreement), within 30 days of notification of approval.
Maximum Project Value
- Maximum funding per project is defined by the posted Challenge Statement
- Funding available for Challenges ranges from $50,000 to $150,000
- Matching contributions are preferred, but there is no mandatory matching funding requirement for this program
Overhead cannot exceed 10% of eligible project costs.
Up to 2 years
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please submit your EOI to OCE by November 4, 2019.
* Please Note: The External Deadline for the Virtual Indoor Locationing Challenge Statement is October 31, 2019.
How to Apply
This program has a two-stage application process:
- Step 1: Expression of Interest (EOI)
- All submitted EOIs will undergo an initial internal review by OCE for eligibility and application completeness. At this stage applications may be returned to the applicant to correct or clarify eligibility criteria.
- EOIs will be reviewed by the ENCQOR 5G anchor firm for fit with the Challenge Statement they developed. These reviews are submitted to OCE to finalize the application review. The OCE Internal Review Panel makes the final decision on projects to be invited to submit a full application.
- At the time of notification of invitation to develop a full application, successful applicants will gain access to the full application module in AccessOCE to complete their full application. Applicants will have approximately four (4) weeks to complete their full application for OCE.
- Step 2: Full Application *If invited to Full Application, please contact email@example.com immediately, so that assistance can be provided in negotiating intellectual property (IP) rights with the anchor firm.
- At the time of invitation to develop a full application, an introduction will be made to the team at the ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firm that posted the Challenge Statement and key contacts will be added to the application module to allow access to the application content.
- Applicants will be invited to execute a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) with the ENCQOR 5G Anchor firm. This will allow the partners to share further detail about the challenge statement and project expectations.
- As part of the two-step agreement process (detailed on the "Project Activation" tab) the applicant will be expected to develop a Statement of Work with the Anchor Firm partner, including a detailed project plan and agreement on intellectual property terms. All applicants are encouraged to start negotiation with the ENCQOR 5G anchor firm(s) regarding IP rights soon after their invitation to develop a full application.
- At the full application stage, the applicant will be required to provide a "Letter of Interest" from their ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firm Partner as an attachment to th full application. This letter is a set template which confirms the Anchor Firms active engagement in application development and alignment with application content. A signed "Letter of Interest" is a mandatory requirement for the full application to proceed to review.