Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE)
- TalentEdge Internship Program (TIP) open to current Ontario college and university students (final year undergraduate, PhD and Masters students), and recent Masters graduates across all disciplines. As part of the TalentEdge Internship program, we also offer:
- Data Analytics Internships: These internships support the application of advanced analytic and smart computing technologies and techniques to large and/or diverse data sets to allow a company to analyze data to address important business questions, uncover patterns and pursue breakthrough ideas. Data Analytics Internships must be company-based at a small to medium-sized enterprise (SME) (with less than 500 employees) and aim to support the broader adoption of smart computing technologies.
- TalentEdge Fellowship Program (TFP) open to Ontario-based PhD graduates and post-doctoral fellows across all disciplines and areas of specialization.
OCE has also partnered with SOSCIP to deliver resources for companies and/or post-secondary institutions to hire postdoctoral fellows where they will gain advanced computing tools and infrastructure as part of smart computing R&D projects.
Applications may be submitted at any time and will be reviewed throughout the year. (please submit to the Research Office two weeks in advance of the date you want to submit to OCE)
TalentEdge provides Ontario students and recent graduates with real-world industry experience. Through the program, interns and fellows can apply their expertise, leading-edge knowledge and tools to solving industry problems.
This highly versatile program is open to university and college students, specifically current graduate and final year undergraduate students, recent Masters graduates, and PhD graduates, and is open to all disciplines. Placements can be either company- or institution-based and all placements must be project-based and have an R&D component (where R&D is defined by the discipline, and is open to all disciplines).
Managed by Ontario Centres of Excellence on behalf of the Government of Ontario, TalentEdge represents a $17-million investment and key component of Ontario’s Youth Jobs Strategy.
The objectives of the TalentEdge Program are as follows:
- Help students and recent graduates bridge the gap between Ontario's publicly-funded post-secondary institutions and industry by providing hands-on experience with companies
- Build receptor capacity in industry for highly skilled R&D personnel
- Provide research and development capabilities to companies
- Improve companies’ competitiveness by attracting top talent and tapping into world-class R&D to strengthen capacity to develop new products, services, and processes
- Develop and retain top talent in Ontario
- Facilitate the transfer of knowledge and emerging technologies from publicly funded post-secondary institutions to industry
The program has two components: TalentEdge Internship and Fellowship programs. For detailed information, refer to the program guidelines.
Update to Talent Edge Program
The TalentEdge program is now open for applications, with intake and review beginning in April and continuing on a rolling basis. Please note the following updates:
- The OCE cash contribution for the Fellowship program has been increased to $35K as the Discovery PDF training session has been discontinued as of April 1, 2017.
- Not-For-Profit organizations will still be considered on a case-by-case basis, however the project can be STEM- or Non-STEM-based.
- There is a limit on the number of units per company (six for TIP, two for TFP) based on the fiscal year (not lifetime). Exceptions should be discussed with the Program Manager before the application is submitted to OCE.
- Data Analytics Internships are open to final year undergraduates, current Masters students and recent graduates, and Ph.D. students (i.e. the same as the regular TalentEdge Internship Program).
How to Apply
Please submit your proposal to the Office of Research two weeks in advance of when you want to submit to OCE. Submit the completed proposal by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a signed OR5 form