Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE)
Voucher for Innovation and Productivity (VIP) Program
For More Information
The Voucher for Innovation and Productivity (VIP) Program replaces the previous VIP I and VIP II programs. The VIP program focuses on helping Ontario companies develop, implement and commercialize technical innovations by supporting industry-academic collaborations. Through the VIP program, industry can leverage the research capacity in Ontario’s world-class academic institutions to solve business challenges, develop new products and processes, and increase productivity. VIP projects are intended to generate economic benefit for companies in Ontario (including job creation/retention, new revenue generation, investment attraction, cost savings, value chain development), in the short-to-medium term (e.g. within three years of project completion).
- Principal investigator at Ontario publicly funded university/research hospital, or applied research officer at Ontario publicly funded college
- For-profit company
- Incorporated in Ontario for a minimum of two years, and five full-time equivalent (FTE) employees in Ontario
- Operations and/or R&D in Ontario with capacity to commercialize results of the project
- Utilizes unique skills/resources of post-secondary institution to meet industry innovation and commercialization needs
A full list of eligibility criteria is also available through OCE's website.
Maximum Project Value
OCE contribution per project will be $20,000 up to $150,000 and minimum $20,000 per year. Industry Partners will be required to provide 1:1 cash match to OCE contribution, where at least 50% must be spent at the post-secondary institution.
For Industry Partner contributions that are already at the University of Guelph under a separate research agreement in which overhead applies, the existing overhead rate will remain.
10% overhead will be added to the OCE contribution per the program guidelines.
Projects duration is from 6 to 24 months.
Several updates have been made to the OCE Trilateral Funding Agreement as per below. A copy of the updated agreement template can be found in the File Attachments.
- Replacement of the full Application in Schedule C, with the first page of the application displaying a summary of the application
- Incorporation of OCE’s IP requirements within the main agreement
- Eliminating submission of IP terms in Schedule D at application stage. Schedule D will be replaced with standard language reflecting OCE’s expectation on arrangement of intellectual property rights and results between the project partners
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please submit your completed application, including budget and OR-5, to email@example.com.
Please ensure both the Industry Partner and Research Partner (UG faculty member) have jointly completed the application in the OCE portal, including terms and conditions.
The Office of Research Services will submit the application to OCE on your behalf.
How to Apply
- If you are ready to apply for the Voucher for Innovation and Productivity (VIP) Program, the Industry Partner should connect with their Business Development and Commercialization Manager to start the process towards initiating an application.
If new to OCE, the Industry Partner should complete the Program Enquiry Form to be connected with a Business Development Manager to discuss VIP eligibility and how to start the application process. Please note that completion of this form does not constitute an application for funding. Once the Program Enquiry Form has been completed, an OCE Business Development Manager (BDM) will contact you within two business days to discuss the opportunity and if required, to assist in identifying a Research Partner.
The opportunity will undergo an initial vetting and due diligence assessment by OCE to ensure that opportunities fulfill all eligibility criteria and are suitable for the VIP program. The opportunity must be both eligible and suitable to move forward in this very competitive program.
If the opportunity is selected as eligible and suitable for the program, the partners will be sent an auto-generated link to OCE's online application system, AccessOCE, to complete the application. The application will remain open for 90 days.
- Complete the online application form. Both the Industry Partner and the Research Partner can log into OCE's AccessOCE using their existing username and password to complete the application. If it is the first time you are using AccessOCE, please follow instructions to create a username and password. The application must be completed jointly between the Industry Partner and the Research Partner. Please ensure only the eligible expenses are included in the budget as OCE will not reimburse ineligible expenses. Once both the Industry Partner and Research Partner have jointly completed the application including terms and conditions, it must then be submitted to the Office of Research Services (firstname.lastname@example.org), along with a signed OR-5, for review and final institutional endorsement.
- The Research Office must then submit the application to the OCE Business Development and Commercialization Manager (BDM) for final endorsement and submission. The BDM endorsement may take up to one week. Once the endorsement is provided and OCE internal review completed, the application will proceed to external review.