The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) Fellowships are jointly funded by International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.
OWSD Early Career Fellowship.
For More Information
Program guidelines, examples of appropriate partners for collaboration and Frequently Asked Questions are available at the following links:
The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) Early Career Fellowship is a prestigious award offered to women who have completed their PhDs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects and are employed at an academic or scientific research institute in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs). The OWSD Early Career fellows will be supported to establish an environment at their institution where they can maintain an international standard of research and attract scholars from all over the world to collaborate.
A distinct feature of the OWSD Early Career Fellowship is to promote research collaboration between academic scientists and industry and other sectors to develop innovations for more inclusive economies and societies.
The official language for the application is English.
To be eligible to apply for the OWSD Early Career Fellowship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs)* for at least 5 years.
- Applicants must be employed or have an employment offer at the university or research institute where the research will be funded.
- Eligible STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) include:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Applicant must be a woman whose PhD was awarded not more than 10 years prior to application.
Details for eligible expenses.
Listings for eligible countries.
An applicant, at the time of application, must NOT have an active research grant or fellowship with The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) or have already submitted an application for a TWAS program within the same given year. Only one application per year is possible across all TWAS and OWSD programs. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs. An exception is made for the OWSD-Elsevier Foundation awards (since applications are submitted by a nominator). In addition, the head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs may still apply for another program.
Please note that the OWSD Early Career Fellowship does not provide for the fellow’s salary which must be guaranteed by the fellow’s institution.
Maximum Project Value
A maximum of US$50,000 will be awarded for the two year fellowship.
Each fellowship is awarded for two years from the date of acceptance.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit the following supporting documentation:
- Passport information including a scan of the page containing personal details as well as a passport sized photo
- Proof of residence
- PhD Certificate
- Proof of employment
- Curriculum Vitae
- Complete list of publications
- Applicants must submit two (2) reference letters
- Supporting statement of head of applicant’s institution
- Additional documents which provide evidence of skills, qualities or actions described in the research project
Please submit your application using the Sponsors online form.
The official language for the application is English. If you are submitting any supporting documents (such as residency certificate, degree certificate, etc.) in your local language, you must attach at least an informal translation into English. Documents without any English translation will not be considered.