Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
For More Information
More information can be found on SSHRC's Connection Grants website.
Connection Grants support events and outreach activities geared toward short-term, targeted knowledge mobilization initiatives. These events and activities represent opportunities to exchange knowledge and to engage on research issues of value to those participating. Events and outreach activities funded by a Connection Grant may often serve as a first step toward more comprehensive and longer-term projects potentially eligible for funding through other SSHRC funding opportunities.
Connection Grants proposals are expected to meet the objectives of the Connection program.
Applicants (except postdoctoral researchers) must be affiliated with an eligible Canadian institution at the time of application. Researchers who maintain an affiliation with a Canadian postsecondary institution, but whose primary affiliation is with a non-Canadian postsecondary institution, are not eligible for applicant/project director status in a Connection Grants application.
Postdoctoral researchers are eligible to be applicants or project directors for a Connection Grant. However, in order for SSHRC to release grant funds, applicants/project directors must formally establish an affiliation with an eligible Canadian institution (postsecondary) within three months of the grant start date and maintain such an affiliation for the duration of the grant period.
Maximum Project Value
$7,000 to $25,000 for events, and up to $50,000 for other outreach activities
NOTE: SSHRC will not fund the full cost of any connection event or outreach activity. Additional support in the form of cash and/or in-kind contributions (excluding registration fees), equivalent to a minimum of 50 per cent of the amount requested from SSHRC, must come from sponsoring organizations. For example, an applicant asking SSHRC for $10,000 in funding will have to provide additional support equal to $5,000. SSHRC will consider only those funds stemming from sponsoring organizations in its calculations of matching funds; individual contributions will not be considered in the calculation of matching funds.
All activities must take place within 12 months of the date indicated on the notice of decision.
- Proposed events and outreach activities must produce a timely and concrete deliverable, such as conference proceedings or other knowledge products developed for traditional formats and/or employing digital and/or multimedia formats (unless specifically intended to create new, longer-term linkages or to initiate collaboration).
- Proposed events and outreach activities may be one-time encounters or catalysts designed to lead to longer-term partnerships and/or sustained programs of scholarly research.
- An applicant may only apply for one Connection Grant per calendar year
SSHRC will be holding a webinar for applicants to provide information and answer questions about Connection Grants.
The webinar will be held via Adobe Connect at the following times:
- English Session: Wednesday, May 22, 2019, 1:00-3:00pm ET
- Adobe Connect Link: https://sshrc-crsh.adobeconnect.com/rqsopgo1266y/
- French Session: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 1:00-3:00pm ET
- Adobe Connect Link: https://sshrc-crsh.adobeconnect.com/r5o2tff4esix/
Please note that you do not need to register in advance and a question and answer period will follow the presentation.
To join via Adobe Connect:
- Click on the Adobe Connect webinar link on the date and time specified.
- Enter your name, and press “Enter Room”.
- Adjust the volume on your computer.
First time attending an Adobe Connect meeting?
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Application will be submitted to SSHRC electronically by the Office of Research Services.
Information For Co-applicants
If you need to meet a deadline set by the lead institution for this opportunity, please ensure that you provide the Office of Research with at least five days in advance of the lead institution’s deadline to review the application, or your proposed component of the project. Please be in touch with the Office of Research (contact information below) ahead of the deadline if it looks like it will be difficult for you to submit all the required documentation on time (i.e. budget, proposal, OR-5 Form).