Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships support the most promising Canadian new scholars in the social sciences and humanities, and assist them in establishing a research base at an important time in their research careers.
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship proposals are expected to respond to the objectives of the Talent program.
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships provide stipendiary support to recent PhD graduates who are:
- undertaking original research;
- publishing research findings;
- developing and expanding personal research networks;
- broadening their teaching experience;
- preparing for research-intensive careers within and beyond academia; and
- preparing to become competitive in national research grant competitions.
Fellowships will normally be awarded to candidates affiliated with a university other than that which awarded the PhD. SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship awards are tenable at Canadian or foreign universities and research institutions.
To apply to this funding opportunity, the applicant must:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada (by the application deadline);
- not hold a permanent faculty position, or a faculty position leading to permanency;
- have finalized arrangements for affiliation with a recognized university or research institution;
- have applied not more than twice before to the SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships funding opportunity;
- not be applying in the 2017-18 academic year to the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships Program or the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Postdoctoral Fellowship funding opportunity; and
- not have already received a postdoctoral award (including a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC or NSERC
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $40,500 per year. These are taxable, non-renewable fellowships, tenable for 12 or 24 months. The award may begin on the first of any month between May 2018 and January 2019.
12 or 24 months
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure all required application components (two letters of appraisal, Research Appraisal form, Institutional Nomination and Commitment form, and all attachments) have been submitted.
- Under no circumstances will any applications be accepted after the deadline.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Before submitting their application, applicants must ensure that they meet the requirements specified under Eligibility. Applicants must complete and submit only one application form, together with the CV and the required attachments. Instructions for filling out the application form and CV are available within the form used by applicants to create their online submission.
More information can be found on the SSHRC website.